Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Logic Book?  (Read 960 times)

MrWretch

• View Profile
Logic Book?
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:39:02 PM »
Hey guys, I have a quick question...  I'm planning on taking the LSAT in June 2010.  I'm going to start studying about ~4 months out or so but between now and then I have some down time.

My question is this: should I read a "college course" logic textbook to better prepare for the LSAT?  Or will reading through the Powerscore LG bible in the 4 months leading up to the test be enough?  I've never taken a logic course in college and don't even know what a logic game is.  Are the Powerscore books suited for people who don't have formal logic education?

Thanks

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Logic Book?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »
More often than not, my students who have studied formal logic tie themselves in knots trying to make the LSAT as hard as their logic class.  Stick to materials made for the LSAT.  Actual formal logic training is unnecessary.

LessThanLiz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:21:06 AM »
Oxford has this neat "Very Short Introduction" series. When I plateaued, I picked up the "Very Short Introduction to Logic" and found it a bit useful - picked up around 2 points. I generally agree that the Bibles work well enough for 'most everyone, but if somewhere down the road you hit a roadblock, this would be the book I recommend.

MrWretch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:40 AM »
EarlCat and >Liz, thanks for the advice!