Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The WORST law school period!  (Read 23875 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: The WORST law school period!
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »
so no one who went there every got a job?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
You all do realise that it is the ONLY lawschool in the state right?

cvtheis

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 10:29:09 PM »
Don't waste your breath.  Folks here do not seem interested in considering all of the facts presented before them -- which is dissapointing for law students -- and are too wrapped up in the idea of being lawyers (without really understanding how little that really means).

If you are reading all of this and thinking that this won't be you and that you will just work harder than everyone else well you are just an idiot. We all worked hard. I don't know anyone who graduated from RWUSOL and sat by and thought jobs would fall into their lap. If you really must attend RWU then my advice to you is to work extremely hard your first year and then transfer out to a higher tier school. This worked out extremely well for a couple of my friends.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »
"wrapped up wanting to be lawyers" MYGOD! why would a "lawstudent" want to do that?! ::)

Don't waste your breath.  Folks here do not seem interested in considering all of the facts presented before them -- which is dissapointing for law students -- and are too wrapped up in the idea of being lawyers (without really understanding how little that really means).

If you are reading all of this and thinking that this won't be you and that you will just work harder than everyone else well you are just an idiot. We all worked hard. I don't know anyone who graduated from RWUSOL and sat by and thought jobs would fall into their lap. If you really must attend RWU then my advice to you is to work extremely hard your first year and then transfer out to a higher tier school. This worked out extremely well for a couple of my friends.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »
to the RW grad who posted you specifically said who were naive as to the real world. So what career path would you have choosen that would guarantee you anything? 

You have had an entire year now I do find it somewhat hard to believe that you can't find ANYTHING anywhere.  Even if you can't then why haven't you gone down another field? I assume the answer would be that would also be challenging and also be no guarantee.

I assume you went straight to law school from undergrad as most of the people complain on this website did.

I remember graduating from college shocked that nobody was handing me jobs I had to look for months and it sucked and looking for a job sucks.  It just does whether you are a lawyer, business analyst, teacher, cop, firefighter, whatever unless you do go to Harvard or something. Unfortunately, most people can't get into Harvard and getting your career started in any field is a bit&h. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 02:24:49 AM »
At the end of the day the VAST majority of people dont give a shitt if you went to RW or Harvard for BFU, if you want to work for yourself your clients just want you to win. I'm so tired of cowards who can't grow a pair and do it themselves. "but its hard.... :'( "

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »
At the end of the day the VAST majority of people dont give a shitt if you went to RW or Harvard for BFU, if you want to work for yourself your clients just want you to win. I'm so tired of cowards who can't grow a pair and do it themselves. "but its hard.... :'( "

Are you allowed to be tired of people who can't do things that you haven't done yourself?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cvtheis

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 08:58:29 AM »
Well... I see it as a problem when well-meaning folks with some real-life experience offer FACTS and information to T3 and T4 law students that essentialy says 'hey, you might REALLY want to think about what you are doing before sinking yourself into a financial hole you may not ever get out of' and it is countered with irrational arguments about population growth, hard work, and 'nobody cares what school you went to.'  Lawyers do not disregard information they do not like and focus in on the story they want -- they analyze BOTH sides with real information.

I honestly hope for the best for anyone going to law school -- it will be very tough for T3 and T4 graduates.

"wrapped up wanting to be lawyers" MYGOD! why would a "lawstudent" want to do that?! ::)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »
Yes it will be harder for a tier 3 or 4 grad to find a job as a lawyer over a Harvard Grad.

Harvard also has computer science degrees and believe it or not Harvard Grads are picked over San Jose State Computer Grads.

Harvard gives out architecture degrees and a FIU architecture grad will have a harder time finding a job than the person with the Harvard degree.

Harvard is Harvard and in every profession there is a status.  It is hard to get into Harvard for anything bottom line and every profession has competition and if you go to a little known school it will be harder to find a job, but guess what you have to work and the world is competitive so you can sit out and female dog how unfair it is whether it be law school, enginnerng, nursing, whatever it is.  

You can keep saying don't go to law school unless you go to Harvard then you might as well say to all high school seniors don't go to college unless you got at least a 1500 on your Sat and 3.8 and maybe you can get into Cornell undergrad otherwise you have to work at McDonald's.  Nobody has ever gotten a job if they didn't go to undergrad in the Ivy League right?  However, that seems to not be true, because working 3 years I met almost nobody from an elite school, but amazingly in different industries people from no name schools got jobs somehow.  Not one of them ever said I got this job handed to me at graduation, no they all had to work for it and that is how life goes. Harvard Grads have it easier, because they are incredibly smart. 7'2 people get basketball scholarships handed to them and 6'6 guys have to work to get one and even if they put the work in it might not work out.

Not even talking about law school if you got a 3.1 in high school and 1120 SAT your not going to Harvard, but you can go to college and get a job and it is unlikely anybody is going to drop their pants and say SAN JOSE STATE! Your hired no you will have to work to find a job and it is likely you will even get rejected a few times. 

This whole theory goes to hell if there is some legal way to be guaranteed an awesome job and make money, but I keep posing that question and nobody seems to know of a degree I can get or some existing that will just be handed to me, that will pay well, and that I will like.  If somebody knows that profession PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! let me know.

cvtheis

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
With all due respect, these are not good analagies.  First - architecture and computer science fields are not undergoing the type of contraction like law is.  Second - one does not go an extra $150K or more  in debt after undergrad for their architecture and computer science degrees, lawyers do.  Third - those fields do not have the Tier-snobbery engrained in them like law does.  Fourth - if the NBA reduces the number of teams to 4, it doesn't matter how good or tall a player is, only the VERY BEST will get drafted -- a good player with a lot of heart can not create a spot on a roster that does not exist.  THAT is what is happenning in the legal industry, the market is shrinking, AND the number of lawyers available to compete for those jobs (new graduates and newly unemployed attorneys) is increasing.  This is not that complicated.

Do not confuse 'hard time finding' a job with 'unable to get hired.'  It's not that people are lazy, or just are not looking hard enough -- people are not beating a path to hire T3 and T4 grads when there is an abundance of T1s and T2s "willing" to take positions they might not have taken 5 years ago.

I hope you and everyone else proves me wrong, gets a job, and says 'that idiot on the board did not know what he was talking about.'  I really do.  All I am saying is anyone in a T3/T4 school should open his eyes, open his mind, consider his own set of FACTS when he finds them, and make an intellectually honest decision based on the facts.  Yes, I know, it's not phrased gender neutral...

Yes it will be harder for a tier 3 or 4 grad to find a job as a lawyer over a Harvard Grad.

Harvard also has computer science degrees and believe or not Harvard Grads are picked over San Jose State Computer Grads.

Architects Harvards degrees out in that to I imagine and a FIU archtiect grad will have a harder time finding a job than the person with the Harvard degree.

Harvard is Harvard and in every profession there is a status.  It is hard to get into Harvard for anything bottom line and every profession has competition and if you go to a little known school it will be harder to find a job, but guess what you have to work and the world is competitive so you can sit out and female dog how unfair it is whether it be law school, enginnerng, nursing, whatever it is. 

You can keep saying don't go to law school unless you go to Harvard then you might as well say to all high school seniors don't go to college unless you got at least a 1500 on your Sat and 3.8 bare minimum go to Cornell undergrad otherwise you have to straight to McDonald's. 

If you got a 3.1 in high school and 1120 SAT your not going to Harvard, but you can go to college and get a job and nobody is probably going to hand you anything from San Jose State, but you can make it happen.

A 7'2 guy is going to have basketball scholarships handed to him a 6'6 guy has to work for it.

A super genius gets into Harvard and has jobs handed to him the normal people have to work for it, most of us are not super geniuses unfortunately so that's life.