Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: February LSAT  (Read 4781 times)

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
February LSAT
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:18:51 PM »

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: February LSAT
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
It's for norming.  Be thankful they release any of them.  Take the GMAT and you'll never again see the questions they asked you.

sixne2002

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
they dont release them in case of an emergency. they can always have the test on hand.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
Others know more about this than I do, but from what I understand, the Feb questions are reused in other tests, much like experimentals.  As far as the norming business, there's some actuarial hullabaloo that I don't understand that they do with Feb.

As far as being a test taker, yeah, it sucks not having that test to review after the fact, but it's not objectively harder or easier than the other tests administered throughout the year.

sixne2002

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »
i talked to a lady who worked for lsac cause i had the same concerns as you. she told me that they dont release them because they are back up test. for example, a few years ago the truck handling the exams was unable to make it to the testing center so the students were given a an old feb test. atleast that what she told me.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:05:42 PM »
It's for norming. Be thankful they release any of them. Take the GMAT and you'll never again see the questions they asked you.

no, it not due norming.  test already normed.

as your later post suggests, some quetions reused--if renormed as part entire section--only because not released.

this have do with state laws, especially new york, requiring release.  otherwiose, almost none be released.  why feb. exempt, julie not know.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
Another thing I want to point out to those taking the February LSAT - I have read previously that the February LSAT curve is predetermined. This suggests to me that the possibility exists that nobody gets a 170+ score. The LSAT difficulty level is not always perfect and uniform and a curve that adapts to the performance of the test takers is necessary for the purposes of fairness.

Let's say hypothetically that the February 2010 test is much harder than previous tests, for whatever reason...maybe LSAC overlooked something (or changed it up purposely). But the curve is already set and even if everyone does a lot worse than the curve anticipated, you're still going to be screwed because the curve is predetermined!

This is my understanding of what predetermined means. If anyone else has some knowledge that refutes my understanding, please do share.

all lsats have "curve," period. and curve same on all them:  about 1% score in 170s.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »
this have do with state laws, especially new york, requiring release.

So why can't a new yorker get their SAT questions back?  Or can they?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »
Another thing I want to point out to those taking the February LSAT - I have read previously that the February LSAT curve is predetermined. This suggests to me that the possibility exists that nobody gets a 170+ score. The LSAT difficulty level is not always perfect and uniform and a curve that adapts to the performance of the test takers is necessary for the purposes of fairness.

Let's say hypothetically that the February 2010 test is much harder than previous tests, for whatever reason...maybe LSAC overlooked something (or changed it up purposely). But the curve is already set and even if everyone does a lot worse than the curve anticipated, you're still going to be screwed because the curve is predetermined!

This is my understanding of what predetermined means. If anyone else has some knowledge that refutes my understanding, please do share.

all lsats have "curve," period. and curve same on all them: about 1% score in 170s.

My point was that the curve is predetermined for the feb lsat. It's not possible to guarantee whatsoever that 1% will score in the 170s before the test is even taken. LSAC can only estimate as best they can. On other tests the curve is developed after the fact, and depending on how well people did.

Do you have information that says the feb lsat is actually not predetermined?

Edit: The kind of curve that I'm talking about is the kind of table you see at the back of each PT, where if you get this many wrong, you get this scaled score. I think LSAC might develop this table before the test is even taken (for the feb lsat only), which would prevent a mass of poor test takers in February from getting in the 170s, if they get a handful of questions wrong. For example, let's say you get 13 questions wrong and you're still in the top 1% of test takers for the feb test. LSAC could easily still give you a score based on the predetermined chart because they felt the overall testing population for the February test was weak.

all lsats have "curve," period. and curve same on all them: about 1% score in 170s.

My point was that the curve is predetermined for the feb lsat. It's not possible to guarantee whatsoever that 1% will score in the 170s before the test is even taken. LSAC can only estimate as best they can. On other tests the curve is developed after the fact, and depending on how well people did.

Do you have information that says the feb lsat is actually not predetermined?

Edit: The kind of curve that I'm talking about is the kind of table you see at the back of each PT, where if you get this many wrong, you get this scaled score. I think LSAC might develop this table before the test is even taken (for the feb lsat only), which would prevent a mass of poor test takers in February from getting in the 170s, if they get a handful of questions wrong. For example, let's say you get 13 questions wrong and you're still in the top 1% of test takers for the feb test. LSAC could easily still give you a score based on the predetermined chart because they felt the overall testing population for the February test was weak.

methodology for raw score-scaled score conversion table involve many facets, but essentially use rolling databasse consisting test in question plus 11 previous regular administrations.  so, table 11/12 determined before test day. so, as you apparently imply, can adjuist for particularly strong or weak group showing up on test day--which know because all tests normed before given.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »
this have do with state laws, especially new york, requiring release.

So why can't a new yorker get their SAT questions back? Or can they?

well, ets sells old tests....