Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: October 1996 preptest, S1, LG, #2 & #3  (Read 1485 times)

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
October 1996 preptest, S1, LG, #2 & #3
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
Hi everyone :),

This is my first time posting a question regarding a preptest. I would like to know how to go about setting up the two games, but I'm not sure how much information from the preptest I should mention here. I read the two 'rules' posts about posting preptest information and I'm a bit confused about posting. I've seen other posters post preptest questions so haven't they violated the rules? I'm not attempting to get anyone into trouble-I promise. I just want to make sure I don't violate any rules.

If it is alright for me to post the two questions I'll do so after I've received the go ahead.

Thank you for reading this.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: 1996 preptest, S1, LG, #2 & #3
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »
Post the PrepTest number, section number, question numbers, a short synopsis of what the problems involve, and what you don't understand about them.

Don't cut and paste the entire question.  The LSAC sends out their ninjas when this happens.

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1996 preptest, S1, LG, #2 & #3
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
Post the PrepTest number, section number, question numbers, a short synopsis of what the problems involve, and what you don't understand about them.

Don't cut and paste the entire question.  The LSAC sends out their ninjas when this happens.

Got it! Thanks!

Preptest 20, October 96, Section 1 LG, #2 & #3.

#2: A worker inserts colored light bulbs into a billboard which has three light sockets (labeled 1, 2, 3). The worker has three green bulbs, three purple bulbs and three yellow bulbs. Selection of bulbs is as follows:

-when light 1 is purple, light 2 must be yellow
-whenever light 2 is green, light 1 must be green
-when light 3 is either purple or yellow, light 2 must be purple

My question is this: how would you create a diagram for this game?

#3: An attorney is scheduling interviews for a week (Mon-Sat). 2 full consecutive days are reserved for hostile witnesses. There are 6 non-hostile witnesses: QRUXYZ each of whom are interviewed exactly once either in the morning or evening with QR interviewed together. Following conditions:

- X must be interviewed Thurs. morning 
- Q must be interviewed some time before X  (I diagrammed this; Q< X)
- U must be interviewed before R  (I diagrammed this: U< R)
- Z must be interviewed after X and after Y   (I diagrammed this; X/Y < Z)

Same question: how would you create a diagram for this game?  I created a diagram similar to this:

Pm: _ _ _ _ _ _
Am:_ _ _ _ _ _
      M t w r f s

Is there a better way to diagram this game?

Thanks for the help and patience. Please let me know if I need to further summarize the game scenarios. I dont want to get this board into trouble. Thank you again.

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
Re: October 1996 preptest, S1, LG, #2 & #3
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »
You can complete the second game using just the rules and the contrapositives. If you wanted to diagram it, you could do something similar to this:

For the third game, setting up 3 templates helps to eliminate some of the uncertainty.

1) If the hostile witnesses are scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, U must be scheduled for Wednesday morning and QR must be scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

2) If the hostile witnesses are scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, U must be scheduled for Monday morning and QR must be scheduled for Monday afternoon.

3) If the hostile witnesses are scheduled for Friday and Saturday, Z must be scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »

You are asking about PT 21 Section 1, games 2 and 3.

Before I start, have you read the LG bible or something similar?  If not, you should.

For the first game, you won't have a main diagram, but you will have to diagram the rules in such a way that you can remember them.  The whole game involves application of only three rules.

For the second game, the main diagram you have is correct.  But you have to add the not laws.  For example, you should have a Q not law below Thursday, Friday and Saturday since Q is interviewed before X.  Besides the rules listed at the bottom, you should take note that in the top paragraph it says "two full consecutive days of the week must be reserved for interviewing hostile witnesses" and only Q and R are interviewed at the same time.

Thank you for the response. :D You're right, this preptest is 21. My apologies (that's what I get for posting when I'm tired  :-\). 

Yes, I've read all of the Bibles. I think theyre fantastic and Ive learned a great deal from them. I didn't have a main diagram as you said and I thought I may have done something wrong. I wrote out the rules and played around with them according to each question. I missed one question so I thought that maybe there might be a better way to diagram the rules. Ill just go back to the number I got wrong and see what I did.

For #3 I wrote out all of the not lawsI actually just caught my own mistakes lol. I was diagramming QR separately on the same day (ie: Q in the AM slot, R in the PM slot). I bet if I return to #3 I'll do a better job. I got 4/6 correct so I thought I must have bombed the diagram.

I guess that's what I get for taking the test when I was tired. At least I know now that it wasn't any drastic mistake! I scored a 172 on my first preptest (this is my second preptest) so I was feeling a bit frustrated for missing so many questions in the LG section.

Thanks for your help, time and consideration. I greatly appreciate it!

You can complete the second game using just the rules and the contrapositives. If you wanted to diagram it, you could do something similar to this:

For the third game, setting up 3 templates helps to eliminate some of the uncertainty.

1) If the hostile witnesses are scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, U must be scheduled for Wednesday morning and QR must be scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

2) If the hostile witnesses are scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, U must be scheduled for Monday morning and QR must be scheduled for Monday afternoon.

3) If the hostile witnesses are scheduled for Friday and Saturday, Z must be scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Thank you for the response also. :D I really like how you diagrammed the second game! It is more visually appealing versus what I wrote out.

The diagram for #3 is great as well. Your diagram actually helped me see where I made my mistake. Thank you for taking the time to write (or actually, type out  ;)) the diagrams. I know where I went wrong. Im going to return to those two games and kick their butt now!

Thank you, thank you, for your help, time and consideration also!

mabbas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
The diagrams are useful but if this is Morley Tatro from Cambridge LSAT, he also sent spam messages thru Facebook.

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 03:13:12 AM »
I scored a 172 on my first preptest (this is my second preptest)

Let's be real here..... ::)

??? I am being serious. I've been studying since January. I will admit that the score took me by surprise. I was expecting to score somewhere between the 130s-140s...

Mitchell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:58:10 AM »
I scored a 172 on my first preptest (this is my second preptest)

Let's be real here..... ::)

??? I am being serious. I've been studying since January. I will admit that the score took me by surprise. I was expecting to score somewhere between the 130s-140s...

January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and half of December, and you're on your second practice test...AND after almost 12 months of studying you expected to score in the 140s...

Mmmmmmmitchell

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »
I dont understand the sarcasm nor the hostility exhibiting from some of you. I scored what I scored and that is the extent of the situation. I am not attempting to fool anyone on this board and Im certainly not attempting to fool myself; there is nothing to be gained from the former or the latter.

That said, the score I received on the first preptest is certainly not going to be indicative of the future scores I receive. I have yet to calculate my score for the second test but I can ensure you that its not going to be a 172 (I have a feeling its going to be in the mid 160s this time).

As a side note, Im studying as hard as I can for this test in order to ensure I receive the best score possible. So when I do manage to score a 170 or higher its because Ive dedicated hundreds (if not thousands) of hours to studying the LSAT material; not because Im attempting to fool anyone, myself included.

I thank everyone again for their help. I hope you all have a nice day.  :)