Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non ABA to ABA  (Read 6401 times)

Qwest101

• View Profile
    • Email
Non ABA to ABA
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
Hey guys. I was in the Army for sometime and went to college after I got out. I decided I wanted to go to lawschool but I didn't have a load of bread and my grades were not so hot. So I took my LSATS got a 148. I got rejected from every school I applied to but a school in school in Massachusetts that was unaccredited. I didn't really know what that meant at the time and they were sort of sketchy on that until i was paid up.

Anyways, I am looking to get out. Unfortunately I am a L2 already. Anyone know if I can still transfer somewhere else.

Thanks.

TML

bncounter6

• View Profile
Re: Non ABA to ABA
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
Hey guys. I was in the Army for sometime and went to college after I got out. I decided I wanted to go to lawschool but I didn't have a load of bread and my grades were not so hot. So I took my LSATS got a 148. I got rejected from every school I applied to but a school in school in Massachusetts that was unaccredited. I didn't really know what that meant at the time and they were sort of sketchy on that until i was paid up.

Anyways, I am looking to get out. Unfortunately I am a L2 already. Anyone know if I can still transfer somewhere else.

Thanks.

TML

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of ABA schools that will accept a non ABA transfer.  However, there's a handful out there that will.  Chapman Law School in California is one.  Laverne Law School is another....also in California.  And the University of Arkansas-Little Rock also accept state accredited law school transfers.  I believe there's another school but those are the one's that I'm aware of.  You may have to do some research but there's only a handful of school and I think I already named most of them.

Good luck to you!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »
Any luck so far?

coto29

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
Appalachian School of Law says they do on their web site, while there are many transfers, I don't know of any from a non-ABA school. They reference ABA Standard 506.  SO at least its possible.  Good luck.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »
I wonder then if anyone has transfered to an ABA school from one of the online bar approved lawschools?

coto29

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
Cali is the only state that allows the online stuff.  The ABA doesn't recognize online schools. So transferring out of an online school outside of Cali isn't possible.  But maybe you can in Cali, they have way different standards then the rest of the country.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
That raises a good question, if a school is ABA approved and accepts credits from nonABA state schools(reconised in that state alone) then will the grad be able to practice in all states or only that state that gave them those credits?

Cali is the only state that allows the online stuff.  The ABA doesn't recognize online schools. So transferring out of an online school outside of Cali isn't possible.  But maybe you can in Cali, they have way different standards then the rest of the country.

coto29

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »
If u graduate from an ABA school your kosher everywhere, it all bout that JD.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
Thats not entirely true. I know that at least when it comes to "pre-legal education" most states will still ban you from being a laywer even if you get a JD and an LLM if you didnt have a full BA prior to enrolling.(michigan and california allow you to enroll with only an associates, but getting licensed is another story if you leave those states, even though they are ABA schools)

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 07:22:06 AM »
I really don't know much about this, so obviously do some research about it, but you might be able to just re-take the LSAT and enter into a more respectable and accredited law school as a 1L, which would be a lot easier/better then trying to transfer to a TTT @ sticker.