Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disclosure and consequences  (Read 867 times)

marvinmartian

• View Profile
Disclosure and consequences
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »
I have an extensive list of alcohol related charges, all of which were dismissed. This includes 2 Minor in Possessions, 1 Fake ID charge, and a DUI charge. I understand 1 or 2 can be overcome, but what about an extensive list such as this? My GPA is strong and I have been doing very well on practice tests. Does a record like this indicate to admissions that you're not worth the trouble? Furthermore, what about sitting for the bar in the event I am accepted?

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disclosure and consequences
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
Admittedly it seems a little fishy but if all charges were dismissed I don't really think adcomms can say much about it.  I really don't know about the Bar, but I have to imagine that at most they would ask you to come in and explain yourself further.  However, you will have to report this to almost every law school you apply to as most ask for your arrest record.  You will need a good written explanation.

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »
You're lucky to have all of that dismissed.
It helps your chances if a decent amount of time has passed since the last incident.  It's much worse if it looks like an ongoing pattern of bad judgement than if it's some dumb mistakes that happened years ago from which you "learned your lesson."

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »
I had a DUI and Minor in Possession on  my record that were fairly recent. I got waitlisted at Iowa because of it, but went in and talked it over with the head admissions guy and got in the next day. Also got waitlisted at Wisconsin and I assume it was because of my record, but didn't bother to work harder at getting in with them. I think you'll be fine though, especially since they were all dismissed.