Due to some life crap that came out of nowhere these past few weeks, I've decided not to take the Monday administration of the Dec. 2009 LSAT.Is it too late to get a refund, even a partial one? More importantly, what happens if I don't show up and get marked "absentee?" Is this bad to have on my record?What's the best way to handle this? Should I show up to the test and fill out the cancellation form (that would be the 2nd cancellation on my record, the 1st one being almost 3 years back)?I'm thinking I'll be putting off my application for an additional year, so I'm afraid an "absentee" or another "candidate cancel" might look bad on my record. What do I do so as not to hurt my future chances at getting into the school of my choice?
Hey I'll tell you something I wish someone told me I would actually suggest you take the absentee and not show up and cancel. Remember you only have 3 chances to take it and that really isn't alot. Here's what happened with me. I signed up for June 2009, and that's when they suddenly decided to chance the deadline policy to three weeks before instead of like the day before you could still cancel. I knew about a month before that I wasn't ready for the test and had no intentions of taking it so I stopped studying and concentrated on my finals. I did not know they changed the deadline policy (dumb i know) and so I was stuck w/ not showing up or going and canceling. I decided that I would show up, test the waters and take the cancel because I didn't want the absentee on my record, and I really regret doing this. when you know ahead of time that you're not ready and there's no way you'd take the lsat for real then you really shouldn't take it because it knocks off one of your chances. I told myself that this would never happen again and I would just study hard for september and that would be my final lsat, so a cancel in june really wouldn't matter. well september rolls around and the whole summer I got bogged down with 8 summer school courses and a bunch of other stuff, I never got a chancel to knock down 30+ prep tests the way other people did, but I did manage to squeeze in a reasonable amount of study time the last 6 weeks. SO I went in taking september hoping for the best even though I know I was not truly satisfied with my preparation and wish I could have had 10-12 weeks of solid study time. I took sept and on one of the LR got slowed down to the point where I didnít have time for the last five questions. I knew right away that blew my score along with probably a few mistakes in LG RC and the other LR section. So I ended up canceling sept because I knew I did not break 165. I still wanted to get my apps in this cycle so right after sept I started preparing for December and this time I felt much better. When I finally took the lsat in December I felt like this was the first time taking the LSAT where my PTs were hitting the scores I wanted and that I really actually prepared. Well Dec was my last and third chance taking it and it doesnít matter how well or badly I did because I canít take it anymore. The point is, I wish I had one more chance to take it just in case I didnít do as well in DEC as I thought I did. If I made 160-165 in Dec, I wish I could have taken an absent in June and that would have allowed me to take it one more time where I would def break 165. My whole post is to advise you to not ruin one of your chances of taking the lsat because you donít know what the next time will bring, something out of the blue can come up the second time and you donít want to waste one of your chances when you only get three. Whether an absent makes you look flaky is argumentative. With the new policy, its very likely that in a three weeks period, something totally comes up which disallows you to be in a certain place for 4 hours on a certain day. I say, donít sit down for the LSAT until you know youíre serious about taking the test and the only reason you would cancel is if you took the test and just know you didnít do well because of the questions.
Hey Jeffort, Thanks for that info, I really didn't know you could do that. I guess that means if I really bombed DEC when my scores come out and I absolutely cannot get into any school I would be happy to attend, then I can try a certain school and ask for a form to take the LSAT again. I think this is a great contingency plan, but if what you mentioned is true - that I have to personally show up in the office to show them that I really want the chance to take the LSAT again, then there's maybe two schools I could do that for, I don't have enough money to fly across the country to get permission from every one of the 10-15 of the top 20 schools I'd like to attend. Well the getting permission thing is a great alternate route for people like me who have taken the lsat 3 times and can't do it anymore, having that said - would you really recommend the OP show up and cancel her score instead of taking a no show. you said you worked with students applying to law school, so I'm guessing your an advisor or admissions counselor of some sort? I think it would be really good if you can give us your opinion on how law schools view cancels vs absences, given the new deadline change policies.
Page created in 0.282 seconds with 17 queries.