Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Much Did You Improve From Your Baseline Score  (Read 4194 times)

ptoomey

• View Profile
    • Email
How Much Did You Improve From Your Baseline Score
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »
I finally took my first prep test. I thought I'd post my results, and later when I take the LSAT, I'll post my final score.

There's no telling yet whether my improvement will be encouraging to people just starting out, but I thought it might be helpful for people just starting out to hear some success stories.

Does anyone remember their first score? If so, I'd love to hear how much you improved. I'm sure other newbies would be interested too. I was looking for a thread like this when I discovered this site.

I scored a 152 on the June 2007 prep test, my first crack at a whole test - 63 correct out of 100. So much for my suspicion that being a programmer would make me a natural on the Logic Games section - only 7 correct out of 23. 15/25 on the first LR, 20/25 on the 2nd LR section, 21/27 on the RC section. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. I scored higher on RC than I expected, and the LG score doesn't worry me too much. I think I can improve a lot once I read the PowerScore book.

One question about the PowerScore books. I know they use real LSAT questions, but I'd actually like to read about the different types of questions in the LG section and see examples, but I don't want to use up questions from real LSAT tests. Is every example in those books a real LSAT question? Actually, on the LG section, I don't think I'd remember the correct answer because the answers are typically lists. But on the LR and RC sections, I'd probably remember the correct answers.

I just remembered, today is an official LSAT test day isn't it? I feel for you guys that are taking the real deal while I write this. Hope you're doing well.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
Re: How Much Did You Improve From Your Baseline Score
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »
I finally took my first prep test. I thought I'd post my results, and later when I take the LSAT, I'll post my final score.

There's no telling yet whether my improvement will be encouraging to people just starting out, but I thought it might be helpful for people just starting out to hear some success stories.

Does anyone remember their first score? If so, I'd love to hear how much you improved. I'm sure other newbies would be interested too. I was looking for a thread like this when I discovered this site.

I scored a 152 on the June 2007 prep test, my first crack at a whole test - 63 correct out of 100. So much for my suspicion that being a programmer would make me a natural on the Logic Games section - only 7 correct out of 23. 15/25 on the first LR, 20/25 on the 2nd LR section, 21/27 on the RC section. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. I scored higher on RC than I expected, and the LG score doesn't worry me too much. I think I can improve a lot once I read the PowerScore book.

One question about the PowerScore books. I know they use real LSAT questions, but I'd actually like to read about the different types of questions in the LG section and see examples, but I don't want to use up questions from real LSAT tests. Is every example in those books a real LSAT question? Actually, on the LG section, I don't think I'd remember the correct answer because the answers are typically lists. But on the LR and RC sections, I'd probably remember the correct answers.

I just remembered, today is an official LSAT test day isn't it? I feel for you guys that are taking the real deal while I write this. Hope you're doing well.

Hey,

Starting with a 152 on your first full timed practice test is a good sign in terms of your abilities and improvement potential.  Significant improvement with proper prep is very much possible.  Even LSAC advises students to prepare for the LSAT in order to achieve ones maximum potential score.

I may have already posted this.  On the first timed LSAT practice test I took cold with zero previous prep and with no idea whatsoever about what was on the test I scored a 151 or 152, forgot which of those two.  My final score on an administered LSAT that counted was 177, so significant improvement is achievable.  Granted, I worked my arse off over many months to improve and achieve that score.  It didn't come easy and I experienced lots of ups and downs in the process leading up to the real thing. 

Being a programmer (I am too), you might be over complicating your approach to and analysis of the logic games and related questions and thinking they are more complex than they actually are.  That section was my nemesis during study/prep time and kicked my butt many times because I was over thinking/complicating my analysis of them, not simplifying things properly for a while and wasting a lot of time while doing ones for practice.  After fighting with the LG's a lot (and at times wanting to throw the books out the window or set them on fire!) I refined my approach and mastered them. 

It ended being my best section, I only missed one question, the first question of the section, that was easy and I lost that point because I was nervous, scared of the section and accidentally mis-bubbled my answer on the score sheet.  I had determined the credited response but my hand did a dyslexic or whatever thing and filled in the wrong bubble. 

Since then and in the following years (especially once I began making a living teaching and tutoring people for the LSAT), LG's are simple to me.  They are super formulaic with many repeating patterns and constructions of recurring game types, logical structures/relationships, and predictable types of incorrect answer choices that are offered. 

In sum, since it is a standardized test, by definition it has to and does follow and repeat the same patterns and types of logical circumstances each time to consistently measure students aptitude with the measured skills time after time.  Each new test form just does it with a different veneer in terms of the subject matter/topics/stories/etc. in the questions to overlay and test the same set of core skills. 

ptoomey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 02:42:08 AM »
Hey Jeffort,

So far I like the way things are lining up - programmer with a 152 on his first prep test scores a 177 on his highest official LSAT. Somehow I don't think the story is going to end exactly the same way, but I'm all for being an optimist.

So far I don't think I'm over thinking the LG questions. I wanted to take a baseline prep test very cold, so I didn't attempt to learn any of the diagramming techniques. I can see myself over thinking them once I learn all the types of questions and the techniques though, so thanks for the heads up.

The LR section is the one I'm the most uncertain about. I probably shouldn't assume too much about the LG section, but since you and so many others have commented on the improvement potential there, I'm thinking about really focusing on the LR section first, to see what kind of improvement I can manage there. What are your thoughts on that section? My scores were kind of weird. 15/25 on the first section of the prep test and 20/25 on the 2nd. I still have to figure out why there was such a difference there, but I'm wondering what you've seen as far as improvement potential there. I think llsat1 already posted some questions about that section. I'm curious to hear what you think. It sounds like it's possible to do some serious over thinking there.

Thanks for posting your pre and post prep scores. It will be an inspiration to many people just starting out, including me.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:02:25 AM »
If you got a killer 177, why didn't you end up going to law school?

He did.

ptoomey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:23:22 AM »
I can't resist. Where? And why isn't he practicing law.
Or I should say, Jeffort, Where? And why aren't you practicing law?
That's a question, not a condemnation.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:58 AM »
I can't resist. Where? And why isn't he practicing law.
Or I should say, Jeffort, Where? And why aren't you practicing law?
That's a question, not a condemnation.

Was trying to post a response earlier but got distracted with phone calls and stuff.

Yes, I applied to and was accepted by many top tier Law Schools.  I attended and graduated from USC (University of Southern California) Law School. 

While in LS and for many years after I graduated (took the bar and passed first time, but never to get licensed because I fell in love with teaching LSAT prep along the way instead) I worked as a consultant/independent contractor/behind the scenes guy, (which means I did a ton of the work, research, strategy and writing) for many high profile serious criminal cases working with numerous high profile criminal defense attorneys.  I worked on serious high stakes criminal cases on the defense side with Robert Shapiro off and on over several years as one example. 

One day while in the middle of a criminal court jury trial involving 19 felony charges against the client that I was and had been a member of the defense team for ~3 years that I started working on while in LS, I was bored in the courtroom hallway waiting for lunch break to end for the trial to resume. 

I thought about the LSAT and decided to inquire about teaching students to pass on my knowledge and experience since I actually love the LSAT and think it's fun!  So, while sitting outside the courtroom on lunch break I made a phone call from my cell to one of the quality reputable prep providers to inquire about teaching opportunities. I didn't ask for the job but ended up with an interview a day or so later with the owner (Robin Singh).  I was hired, went through training and was teaching my first live class within a week or so.  I had just called to ask and inquire about possibilities and how it works out of curiosity and shortly after I was teaching a 30+ person class. 

I loved it from the first second and immediately realized that I have a passion for teaching this stuff and enjoy it much more than doing legal work.  It's pretty much as simple as that in large part. 

hp3953

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »
I myself am very much curious to how many of you 1L's to be have improved from your initial baseline score to the score on the exam.

Doodsmack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
I started at a 145 and my test day score was a 169.

mwusa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »
I got 148 on my first diagnostic test. After 2 months of studying and taking a class I was getting 164 on timed practice tests. I took the actual test on December 5th and did worse than I expected. Now I have to wait and see how I did.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »
22 points.

From a 151 diagnostic to a 173.