Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's It Really Like After BIGLAW?  (Read 1984 times)

lsatbeard

• View Profile
What's It Really Like After BIGLAW?
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »
Until recently, I've been really wanting to be a lawyer, because it seems like it seems like something I could do. But upon doing more research, I'm really having doubts. The "best" jobs are at "BIGLAW" firms, where, although the money is good, the jobs themselves seem to be really, really crappy. People say that "BIGLAW" jobs are just starting points, but fail to specify what sort of jobs are out there, how much they pay, and how difficult it is to get one.

jamiejamie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's It Really Like After BIGLAW?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:14:29 AM »
Most lawyers don't have jobs at large law firms. Those jobs are prestigious and can pay very well, especially for partners of the firm. They do require you to put in a tremendous number of hours per week.

Personally, I practice criminal law and am working at the district attorney's office. Pay at DA offices in my state ranges from 50K - 100K for new DA's. Most attorneys in the office really enjoy what they do, which is why they are here.

There are a vast number of careers in the law. Perhaps you could shadow some local lawyers to get a sense of what they do. Go to your local court to watch some proceedings in action. Though, in some legal fields, it is extremely rare to see the inside of the courtroom.