Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: High School Information on LS Applications  (Read 675 times)

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
High School Information on LS Applications
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »
Quick question for anyone who may know what one would have to put down in this kind of situation :

Due to the fact that both of my parents were incarcerated in my sophomore and junior year of high school, I had gotten my GED, although I attended a good High School, and was in the gifted program at the school. Since I got my GED after my junior year, I went to college a year earlier, transferring from a public university to a private one, and having a 3.78 GPA at the end of it all. So here go the questions:

1. Firstly, what do I put in the slot that asks for the name of my high school that I graduated from ? Where do I put that information? Do I write down  the name of the HS I went to ?

2. I am taking the LSATs on Saturday, and hope to scoring in the 168-171 range (knock on wood:)). With a 3.78 GPA, finance major, my own business at 14 y.o. and an article written about it in Young Entrepreneur magazine, as well my own non profit org. that helps children of incarcerated parents, does anyone think that my GED will affect me negatively?

Many thanks in advance

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: High School Information on LS Applications
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:03:42 PM »
Quick question for anyone who may know what one would have to put down in this kind of situation :

Due to the fact that both of my parents were incarcerated in my sophomore and junior year of high school, I had gotten my GED, although I attended a good High School, and was in the gifted program at the school. Since I got my GED after my junior year, I went to college a year earlier, transferring from a public university to a private one, and having a 3.78 GPA at the end of it all. So here go the questions:

1. Firstly, what do I put in the slot that asks for the name of my high school that I graduated from ? Where do I put that information? Do I write down  the name of the HS I went to ?

2. I am taking the LSATs on Saturday, and hope to scoring in the 168-171 range (knock on wood:)). With a 3.78 GPA, finance major, my own business at 14 y.o. and an article written about it in Young Entrepreneur magazine, as well my own non profit org. that helps children of incarcerated parents, does anyone think that my GED will affect me negatively?

Many thanks in advance

Just call LSAC or ask your pre-law advisor (you implied that you're still in school).  But seriously, was there any point to this other than to list off your resume?  A GED is just as good as an HS degree.  Period.  I don't think any ad comm will care.  Oh, and I'm pretty sure "young entrepreneur" is not a magazine.  Just sayin'...

Sofiya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:33:48 PM »
Liz Lemon, thanks for you advice. The reason why I listed all of the factors was because as far as I see it, a GED is not nec. worse, but it's def. not better than a high school diploma and I want there to be absolutely no misunderstanding on the parts of the admissions folks. I was very driven and hard working in high school, I just had other personal issues that I needed to take care of and work on. But thanks for the advice.

Fyi, http://www.youngbiz.com/youngbiz_news/YBSummer2004.pdf

I used to spell my name as Sonya, but thanks for the note :)

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »
I stand corrected.  The article is pretty cool too.