Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I hate this crap. How do I stay motivated?  (Read 1676 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I hate this crap. How do I stay motivated?
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:33:15 AM »
So I'm nearly half way through law school now and I pretty much hate it.  I understand some people love it, but I don't.
If someone offered me 80k to go back to my old career I would probably drop out.
I liked working last summer, and I'm excited about my upcoming job, but school is terrible.

Most of the material is boring, and there's not a lot of time in most of my classes (especially con law) to have good discussions about issues.
Class time is only remotely related to the final.  Most of the time I do just as well or better on finals when I focus on supplements rather than class notes and cases.
Class time is even less related to passing the bar (according to my graduated friends)
Most people say that law school doesn't really even prepare you to work as a lawyer.

I mean, the "learn to think like a lawyer" justification really only works for the first semester or year.  Now I just get to spend ridiculous amounts of money on books and tuition in order to sit in class and listen to some teacher talk about whatever the hell they want, and in the meantime, most firms in my area aren't hiring.

I'm in the top third of my class, but I have really no chance of cracking the top 10 or 20%.  (Statistically it's very difficult especially since the upper-division curve is higher)

So how do I stay motivated?  Would it really kill me to just get Bs and move on with my life?  Is there some higher purpose to law school that a lowly unbeliever like me doesn't understand?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: I hate this crap. How do I stay motivated?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
it all about fighting terrorism.

iconoclasttt, esq.

• esqueel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
I liked working last summer, and I'm excited about my upcoming job, but school is terrible.

Law school = 3 years.  The rest of your life = hopefully greater than that.  IMO, far better to hate the former and love the latter than the other way around (which unfortunately seems to be the more common case).

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »
Lol at this thread. Pretty much sums up my thoughts of law school. I'm done w/it and passed the bar, but your friends are correct in that what you learn in class doesn't really prepare you much for being a lawyer. Casebooks are almost worthless for learning the law after you've learned how to read a case. When it comes time to study for the bar, you're not even cracking open a casebook. It's all supplemental material and straight memorization, which is honestly what I think would have worked best in law school too.

I wish I had something positive to add, but I think the practice of law generally sucks and I'm not working in that field. I feel your pain.