Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good Opp. for 1Ls struggling to find jobs  (Read 5264 times)

cmpreston

• View Profile
Good Opp. for 1Ls struggling to find jobs
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
Hello All,
I’m a 2L from William and Mary Law School, passing along a great summer opportunity for those of you (us) who may be struggling with this job market.

Simply put, the Center for Legal and Courtroom Technology at WM (FULL DISCLOSURE: I work for CLCT as part of my fellowship) is offering a legal technology summer school program.
I know we’re all hoping for the perfect job, and I know there’s a lot of great summer programs out there, but I wanted to pass this along because it’s the sort of thing that looks great on a resume and can be uniquely attractive to employers.

A few things (in outline form, because I’m in full exam-prep-mode) about the program it’s good to know:

1.) Technology is getting HUGE in the legal community, so this sort of experience is helpful on a number of employment fronts:

a.) EMPLOYERS LOVE IT: I've been on a bunch of interviews this fall and EVERYONE I've talked to has asked about my work with CLCT, and expressed that their firm is lagging behind in one technology area or another.

b.) STANDS OUT ON RESUME: We’ve all been told that the key to 1L summer is getting “something legal” on your resume; this is the sort of thing that no one else has, and the sort of things employers WANT.

c.) EASY to TALK ABOUT IN INTERVIEWS: since most attorneys lag behind on technology, some expertise can be very impressive. And if you happen to interview with someone who knows technology, they’ll be even more impressed because CLCT is the top dog in terms of legal technology nationwide.

2.) Academically it’s pretty solid too:

a.) UNIQUE COURSES: This is the rare experience that isn’t being shared by 100,000 law students across the country- we all take the exact same 6 courses the first year (and 2/3 of my classes my first 2L semester are also pretty standard)—this is a chance to get some academic credit in areas that no one else has any background in.

b.) SMALL CLASSES/GREAT PROFS: CLCT does some really cutting-edge stuff involving international law and advanced courtroom technology. The courses touch on some of that, but more importantly, you’ll be working closely with professors who are tapped into some major legal communities (translation: great outside-the-box networking opportunity)

c.) RELEVANCE: the courses are relevant- much more so than, dare I say, Torts or Crim Pro- I took an online course re: metadata (identifying data hidden in electronic information) and am already seeing all sorts of applications where, in today's job market, I can really stand out.

3.) Williamsburg (home of WM) isn't the most exciting town, but it's great in the summer, close to some fantastic beaches, and really the cradle of legal education in this country. I had a guy who did summer school last year tell me that the historic reputation at WM alone was worth doing the program in terms of job searches.

4.) the program is short, 4 weeks long, so you can do a part-summer job and still come down (or up if you're further south) to Billsburg and get some great experience (a lot of folks did this last summer)

Anyway, it's a lot of information, and like I said above, I know there are lots of good programs out there and I wish everyone the best finding the right opportunity for next summer.

If anyone has any interest in learning more, feel free to drop me an email at cmpreston@wm.edu.
Here's the CLCT website if you want to check us out:
www.legaltechcenter.net (add /summer to go straight to the summer program page)

Thanks for reading if you've stuck around, and I hope to hear from you.
-Corey Preston
2L, William and Mary Law

cmpreston

• View Profile
Re: Good Opp. for 1Ls struggling to find jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
Hello again-
I've gotten a few emails with questions I unfortunately don't have all the answers for...if anyone's interested in the program and have questions from an administrative perspective, feel free to contact Mary Beth Dalton at medalt@wm.edu.
If you have more practical, 1L summer questions, I'm still your guy at cmpreston@wm.edu.
Again, this program is a nice, attractive on the resume, alternative if summer jobs are tough to come by, but I'm hoping everyone has luck finding something more "job-ish" (so far my luck, as a 2L, has been limited).

-Corey

cmpreston1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »
The course descriptions for this summer are now posted on CLCT's redesigned website at:
http://www.legaltechcenter.net/aspx/summerschool.aspx

For helping with future job searches, I think Technology-Augmented Trial Advocacy (looks great for anyone thinking about trial work) and Electronic Discovery and Data Seizures (every law firm in the country needs to learn more about this stuff) look best on a resume.
For pure philosophical interest, Privacy in a Technological Age would be my choice.
And if you need to take Evidence, an intensive course w/CLCT's director could be very helpful....

I've gotten a handful of emails about the program, from this forum and others, with the two biggest questions concerning deadlines, and whether or not you can conceivably split summers.
The application deadline is April 2.
And split summers ARE possible- the program runs from June 1-July 2.
More details at the website above.
Best,
Corey

cmpreston1

• View Profile
Re: application deadline pushed back to April 16
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »
The application deadline for William and Mary's Legal Technology summer program has been pushed back to April 16...
Again, though I'm surely biased, I think this is an excellent alternative summer experience if you're a 1L struggling to find work this summer.
If anyone is interested, or has questions, feel free to contact either myself at cmpreston@wm.edu, or Mary Beth Dalton at medalt@wm.edu.
Thanks!

cmpreston1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:50:59 PM »
Hi Folks-
The April 16 deadline for registration for the Legal Tech summer program has passed.
For those of you I've talked to, I hope you've found the jobs you were hoping for, and if not, I hope CLCT's program turned out to be a good option.
Apparently we've got a record number of out of state applicants, so it should be a fun summer with good opportunities to make contacts from all over the country.

POST-DEADLINE APPLICATIONS:
While the deadline has passed, I think there's a chance there are a handful of spots available-- if anyone was interested but missed the boat, or is scrambling to make some solid summer plans, skip me and contact Mary Beth Dalton, who administers the program, at medalt@wm.edu.

Thanks again for everyone's interest!
-Corey