Law School Discussion

Been rejected '08. Took LSAT 3 times. When should I take next?

Been rejected '08. Took LSAT 3 times. When should I take next?
« on: November 30, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »
I took LSAT 3 times already (146/154/149) in Jun/07, Sep/07, and Feb/08.
I was rejected to all schools I applied (unfortunately I only applied to schools way better than my range.)
Main reasons to my poor scores are:
1) lack of preparation
2) defficiency in heavy English

I'm an international applicant. Although I majored in Languages and Literature and scored 114(out of 120) in TOEFL, still the LSAT reading was a heavy load for me. I just didn't prepare enough and didn't score well. After being rejected, I finished my bachelor's degree and worked for about a year as an English teacher in my country.

However, I wish to re-take the LSAT and re-aply. This time, I'll have much more time to prepare and I believe I can score better (my reading is slow so that's the first thing I'll improve. Second, I've always done well in math/logic when it's in my own language so I HOPE if I study really hard enough, I may score better.)

Anyway, IF in case I do score better (fortunately!), I believe the admission council wouldn't take my case as a good one. They'd definitely cast doubt on my previous low LSAT scores and probably not give credit as high as to those who scored the same in their first time.

My question is: what can I do (besides studying really hard for LSAT, of course) to convince the admission council that I've had some significant change over the course of time?

1) Should I leave more time distanc between my next LSAT test date and my last one?
2) What are other gestures I can do to make a difference? Right now, I'd probably continue my job as a teacher/instructor or get into a trading business company and learn something about business.
3) Can defficiency in English (in the past) be an acceptable reason for my previous low LSAT scores?

I'd appreciate ANY kind of advice or suggestion, and of course, critics!

Re: Been rejected '08. Took LSAT 3 times. When should I take next?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
How many years have you lived in the US?
You should take a prep course or get a tutor since it seems like you're not doing the right kind of studying. LSAT isn't designed to test your english ability. As long as you have the basic english skills, you shouldn't have a problem studying for it. If not, can't say anything more but to put in the extra effort b/c many people who were born here study hard, which means you're gonna have to top that by putting in much more studying hours.

I'd say work in a job you enjoy since LSAT is going to count for more than your work experience, but maybe look into doing some volunteer work.

ryanjm

• View Profile
Re: Been rejected '08. Took LSAT 3 times. When should I take next?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »
It was my understanding that they don't want you to take more than 3 tests in any 2-yr period. It's been more than 2 years since you took the first 2 tests, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

I have to disagree with Inherit saying the lsat doesn't test your reading ability. You will need to be able to read quickly and at a high level since there is so much time pressure. Also, the reading is not light, as you found out. If you aren't already, I would read books for pleasure to help increase reading speed. Pick up something you like and just read every night before you go to bed.