Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most school for the least money  (Read 1895 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most school for the least money
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
I would like to pay less than 12K per year if possible.  I live in San Diego right now but even the worst school here, Thomas Jefferson, costs 35K.  I don't really care what geographical region I move to for law school as long as I get the most bang for my buck. 

Think he was going for your GPA and LSAT, which is essential to answering your question.

Hey, how is the summer job hunting going?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »
I would like to pay less than 12K per year if possible.  I live in San Diego right now but even the worst school here, Thomas Jefferson, costs 35K.  I don't really care what geographical region I move to for law school as long as I get the most bang for my buck. 

Think he was going for your GPA and LSAT, which is essential to answering your question.

Hey, how is the summer job hunting going?

Haven't really been looking too hard. That will be one of my big projects over break.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »
Hm, but don't most law schools pretty much prepare you for practicing law in that state? So maybe you don't really care about the geographic location of the school itself but do you realize that you'll most likely have to practice in that state? I guess it's possible you don't care about that either... most people do though.

Not really, they teach you the law in general, not the law of the state you go to law school in.

Yep. Law school is supposed to teach you the law in general and how to think like a lawyer. BarBri is supposed to teach you the law of the state you're going to take the bar in. Unless you go to a bad school, then it's basically a 3 year bar review AND you should take BarBri.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »
As Ninja said, we need to know your LSAT/GPA.  Many schools will give full scholarships, so just looking at the tuition alone will not give you a very good idea of where you can go for cheap/free.  Your LSAT/GPA will determine where you can go for cheap/free.

You mentioned Thomas Jefferson costs $35K, but according to the chart at the end of this article, more than 9% of the students there have full scholarships. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904889498&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1.  Recent data from the ABA, however, says less than 3% of students have full scholarships.  For recent data on schools, go to officialguide.lsac.org.