Law School Discussion

LSAT answerkey typo? - PT 42, #4

LSAT answerkey typo? - PT 42, #4
« on: November 28, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
So I got 2 wrong on this one, #19 and #21

I eliminated D and B because O and K already review T. I then eliminated E because Megregian has to review more than 1. Left with  C (lopez, jiang) and A (lopez). I tested and found Jiang could review only Sunset. So I chose C. But then the answer key said A is correct. I dont get it! Is this an Lsat answer typo?

Even this guy's explanation ended up choosing C:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37770

and #21

This was just hard, I did process of elimination to get rid of A B C and D... but then E looks like it should be eliminated too. If O'Neill reviews Sunset, then it violates the last rule because then in the resulting distribution no 2 students review 'exactly the same play or plays as eachother'. I dont get this one either.

If any LG pros out there could please take a moment to check #19 and #21 and tell me what Im doing wrong, I would be incredibly grateful!!! Have a good weekend.

Re: LSAT answerkey typo? - PT 42, #4
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:48:05 PM »
I just found EarlCat's very helpful explanation here:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=4018795.msg5304043

But for #19, I see how Jiang and Lopez cant both review S in the same distribution, but you can create 2 separate distributions in which they are they only review S. (eg, if Jiang reviews U and Lopez reviews S)

and #21 - Answer E: if O'Neill reviews Sunset, then we get this distribution

J: S
K: T
L: U
M: T, U
O: T, U, S

Thus answer E violates the final rule of the game, right?

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »
But for #19, I see how Jiang and Lopez cant both review S in the same distribution, but you can create 2 separate distributions in which they are they only review S. (eg, if Jiang reviews U and Lopez reviews S)

The question is asking for what could be true.  It could be true that L reviews only S (answer A).  It could also be true that J reviews only S (not an answer choice, but you pointed it out).  The problem is, it can't be true the both L and J review only S (answer C).

If the question had said, "Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of the students, ANY OF WHOM could review only S?" then you'd have to pick an answer that says J & L.  But that wasn't the question.

and #21 - Answer E: if O'Neill reviews Sunset, then we get this distribution

J: S
M: T, U

Thus answer E violates the final rule of the game, right?

No, because answer E does not mandate that J review S.  Let J review T, and there's no problem.

J: T
M: S, U

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 06:58:22 AM »
Oops, didn't see that! Many thanks for the explanation.