Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I speak Arabic - what type of law to study  (Read 2343 times)

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
I speak Arabic - what type of law to study
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »
What type of law would most utilize my Arabic fluency?  Immigration law? Civil law? Corporate?

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I speak Arabic - what type of law to study
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »
sharia banking. 

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »
sharia banking. 

This is my unamused face :|

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:43:08 PM »
Do yourself a favor and do a search.

Your proficiency in arabic has potential to differentiate and position you in investment banking, sovereign wealth management and the like. You're more likely to have accomplishments than you would be in the "human rights" sphere and you're less at risk of disgracing yourself than you would be within the national security apparatus.

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »
Do yourself a favor and do a search.

Your proficiency in arabic has potential to differentiate and position you in investment banking, sovereign wealth management and the like. You're more likely to have accomplishments than you would be in the "human rights" sphere and you're less at risk of disgracing yourself than you would be within the national security apparatus.

Thank you for the help.  I do not fully understand how fluency in Arabic would lead me to a career in investment banking or the like? I don't even know how those are related to the practice of law? What type of law would I study in law school to obtain those types of careers.

edit: I also cannot find the search option on this forum lol :(

luke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
Well, bankers, asset managers, and the like need the assistance of lawyers. Some of these financial institutions direct funds that have to be managed in a manner consistent with islamic legal principles; it has to be (or to be perceived to be) halal. Islamic finance is a niche -- and growing -- practice area. I'm confident that google can tell you what you need to know about it. 

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
There's ton of stuff: human rights law, national security law, try to become a federal prosecutor, etc. 

What are you interested in?  Go study that.
Columbia 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
sharia banking. 

This is my unamused face :|

Seriously, Sharia Finance. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/business/01sorkin.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Take Islamic Law and whatever type of finance and corporate classes you can.  Islamic Law has a lot of regulations on acceptable and unacceptable types of transactions.  And with some middle eastern countries and cities becoming increasingly capitalistic (see Dubai), there is a growing niche for people who lubricate west-on-Islam transactions. 

_______
.|E|R|S.