Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 19450 times)

czarnykot

• View Profile
Dec 07 Logic Game #3
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »
Can someone PLEASE explain to me how this should be set up??
I simply can't figure it out!

Do the suspects before T confess? How does it work

green7

• View Profile
Northwestern Law
« Reply #361 on: September 20, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »
Is Northwestern one of the top-14 where applying straight out of undergrad., esp. graduating early, would adversely affect admissions chances?

Thanks!

green7

• View Profile
Northwestern Law
« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
Is Northwestern one of the top-14 where applying straight out of undergrad., esp. graduating early, would adversely affect admissions chances?

Thanks!

ChiGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Did I dissect this LR question correctly?
« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »
So I took everyone's advice and right after I do an LR section, I correct it & then I write my own explanations as to why the 1 is right and the 4 other are right before reading Kaplan's explanations. It's so time consuming! :-X

Can someone look at this & tell me if I did this 1 right? (again, some things have been changed for copyrighted purposes!)

Finnish author Swadi was accused by Norwegian author Halden of plagarizing a book that she had written & that had been published 20 years before Swadi.  The 2 books, although set in different periods & regions, contain enough plot similarities to make coincidental resemblance unlikely. Swadi's defense rests on his argument that plagarism was impossible in this cause because Halden's book has been published only in Norwegian, a language Swadi does not understand, & because no reviews of Halden's book have ever been published.

The argument in Swadi's defense depends on the assumption that

(A)  Swadi has never met Halden
(B)  Halden's book did not become popular in norway
(C)  Nobody related the plot of Halden's book in detail to Swadi before Swadi wrote his book
(D)  There is common European myth to which both authors referred subconsciously in the books in question
(E)  Swadi is not familiar w/Marshing Landic, an extinct language related to an earlier form of Norwegian.

Ok, the answer is C. But I chose E.  Supposedly (kaplan told me) that D is the most tempting answer which i think is odd.

My explanations (w/out reading kaplan's yet) are as follow:

(C) is right because because no one told swadi about the details of halden's book before Swadi wrote it. How could he plagarize it if he knew nothing about it? Also, if you negate it "Everybody related the plot of Halden's book in detail to Swadi before Swadi wrote the book" makes it fall apart.

(A) is wrong because this is irrelevant/outside the scope. Swadi doesn't have to meet halden to plagarize any of her work.

(B) is wrong because it doesn't make any sense. What does that have to do with Swadi plagarizing Halden's book? As is popularity is suppose to deter Swadi from plagarizing halden's book!!

(D) is wrong because it doesn't make sense. Actually, I really don't even understand it. Sounds way too philosophical! Lol. (Sorry, I know this explanation sucks!)

(E) is wrong because it brings in another language that's not even mentioned. The stimulus explicitly stated the book was written in Norwegian.

Gawd, what a great way to spend a nice saturday evening! :-\  Anyway, am I on the right track? I remember someone here saying that my explanations should be a paragraph long for now & not 1 sentence since I get so many wrong on LR but I could not write a whole paragraph for each of these. I just didn't know what else to write.

ChiGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Did I dissect this LR question correctly?
« Reply #364 on: September 20, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »
So I took everyone's advice and right after I do an LR section, I correct it & then I write my own explanations as to why the 1 is right and the 4 other are right before reading Kaplan's explanations. It's so time consuming!

Can someone look at this & tell me if I did this 1 right? (again, some things have been changed for copyrighted purposes!)

Finnish author Swadi was accused by Norwegian author Halden of plagarizing a book that she had written & that had been published 20 years before Swadi.  The 2 books, although set in different periods & regions, contain enough plot similarities to make coincidental resemblance unlikely. Swadi's defense rests on his argument that plagarism was impossible in this cause because Halden's book has been published only in Norwegian, a language Swadi does not understand, & because no reviews of Halden's book have ever been published.

The argument in Swadi's defense depends on the assumption that

(A)  Swadi has never met Halden
(B)  Halden's book did not become popular in norway
(C)  Nobody related the plot of Halden's book in detail to Swadi before Swadi wrote his book
(D)  There is common European myth to which both authors referred subconsciously in the books in question
(E)  Swadi is not familiar w/Marshing Landic, an extinct language related to an earlier form of Norwegian.

Ok, the answer is C. But I chose E.  Supposedly (kaplan told me) that D is the most tempting answer which i think is odd.

My explanations (w/out reading kaplan's yet) are as follow:

(C) is right because because no one told swadi about the details of halden's book before Swadi wrote it. How could he plagarize it if he knew nothing about it? Also, if you negate it "Everybody related the plot of Halden's book in detail to Swadi before Swadi wrote the book" makes it fall apart.

(A) is wrong because this is irrelevant/outside the scope. Swadi doesn't have to meet halden to plagarize any of her work.

(B) is wrong because it doesn't make any sense. What does that have to do with Swadi plagarizing Halden's book? As is popularity is suppose to deter Swadi from plagarizing halden's book!!

(D) is wrong because it doesn't make sense. Actually, I really don't even understand it. Sounds way too philosophical! Lol. (Sorry, I know this explanation sucks!)

(E) is wrong because it brings in another language that's not even mentioned. The stimulus explicitly stated the book was written in Norwegian.

Gawd, what a great way to spend a nice saturday evening!   Anyway, am I on the right track? I remember someone here saying that my explanations should be a paragraph long for now & not 1 sentence since I get so many wrong on LR but I could not write a whole paragraph for each of these. I just didn't know what else to write.

nemo

• View Profile
which prep company is better for NY bar exam?
« Reply #365 on: September 20, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
I heard that BarBri is a better prep for the multi-state portion, while Kaplan is better prep for the NY portion?
Anyone here had experience with either or both? If so, is this true?

apple21

• View Profile
GPA 3.0, LSAT 168, URM - Where to apply?
« Reply #366 on: September 21, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »
GPA 3.0, LSAT 168, URM

- Had very low GPA from freshman and sophomore year (as engineering major), upward grade trend since switching majors
- Scored 168 on LSAT but planning to retake
- URM (Native Hawaiian)

What schools should I apply to?

apple21

• View Profile
GPA 3.0, LSAT 168, URM, male - Where to apply?
« Reply #367 on: September 21, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
GPA 3.0, LSAT 168, URM, male

- had low GPA freshman/sophomore year (science major), upward grade trend since switching majors
- 168 LSAT but planning to retake
- URM (Native Hawaiian)

I want to go to the best school I can (region doesn't matter). Where do I have a decent shot of acceptance?

luvcats

• View Profile
    • Email
Average drop from practice lsats to real lsat
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
What is the average drop in score from taking practice lsats to taking the real thing?  I am hearing that a 5-10 point drop is about average.  Does that mean you should be scoring 5-10 points higher on practice tests than what your goal is?

randomthings

• View Profile
Has anyone received an offer from Bingham or Goodwin?
« Reply #369 on: September 25, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »
Has anyone received an offer from Bingham McCutchen or Goodwin Procter (Boston offices)? I had callbacks a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything at all yet....I'm thinking it's not a good sign.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=randomthings

Love me (in): Denver($$), Vermont ($$), UVic, GULC(PT), BC, UConn ($), Northeastern ($), Hastings, USan Fran ($$), UNM, Seattle U, BU ($), UWashington, UC Boulder
Love me not (out): Boalt
Like Me (waitlist):