Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 19332 times)

campbell86

• View Profile
    • Email
High LSAT vs. Low GPA
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2008, 07:07:02 PM »
If i have a GPA of approximately 3.0-3.2 which is sort of low but a LSAT score of 170..what are my chances of getting into a school such as Florida State University (FSU approximately---25th-3.2, 75th-3.64 / 25th-155, 75th-160?) thanks.

gbekaryan

• View Profile
Going in the Spring I Please Help
« Reply #331 on: August 20, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »
So, I've decided that I am going to start law school in the spring of 2009 and have a few school that I plan on applying to. I was just wondering if you guys could let me of any other school that I could attend in the spring. Location isn't a major issue but I have my favorites. Gy UGPA is 3.55 (UCLA-History); but I also have a 3.89 (Cal State Northridge-Teaching Credential); LSAT: 155 (If I retake the LSAT in October will that delay my application from getting processed).

What would you say my chances are for:
California Western
Baylor Law School
Texas Tech
Penn State
Indiana-Indianoplis

I probably want to practice labor law. Which would be the best.

Thank you

frey84

• View Profile
Can someone read over my PS?
« Reply #332 on: August 23, 2008, 02:06:28 PM »
Can someone read over my PS?

bj47

• View Profile
Cool charity--Totally new idea
« Reply #333 on: August 23, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »
Well...I am starting a new kind of charity that I think is very cool...and as far as I can tell, totally unprecedented. Also, full disclosure: I want you guys' advice, and I also need you guys to help...but don't worry...I'm not asking for money or anything  8)

My charity's name is The Generation Project, and the idea is this: Instead of just writing a check to an organization and letting that organization decide what to do with your money, I want to give people the opportunity to design gifts for high-need children based on their own passions and priorities.  E.g, future lawyers like us might design and fund a mock trial program at an inner-city high school, while a musician might decide to donate drum sets to kids at an elementary school.

Post below to tell me what you think of the idea or if you have any questions/critiques/want to reprimand me for not posting during law school.  (Also, check out www.thegenerationproject.org.  It is our rudimentary website).

Now for the help part: Through August 31st, we are currently finalists in a contest at ideablob.com.  If we get more votes than the other finalists, we'll win $10,000.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help us out.  It takes two minutes and doesn't cost a dime.  To vote:

1) Register for ideablob at http://www.ideablob.com/signup.  Confirm your registration by following the link in your email. 
2) Once you have confirmed your registration, go to http://www.ideablob.com/ideas/2889-Share-YOUR-passion-with-kids-T and click the green "Vote" button, or click the "Vote" button to the LEFT of The Generation Project's logo on ideablob's front page.

Think of it as a donation to charity without having to actually open your wallet :) !

Gboy

• View Profile
Civil Procedure

Civil Procedure: Doctrine, Practice, and Context by Subrin, Minow, Brodin, and Main

Civil Procedure: Cases, Problems and Exercises by Cross, Abramson, and Deason

Constitutional Law

Constitutional Law: Themes for the Constitution's Third Century by Farber, Eskridge, and Frickey

Property

Property: Cases and Materials by Cribbet, Johnson, Findley, and Smith

Family Law

Domestic Relations: Cases and Problems by Clark and Estin

jackjo21

• View Profile
    • Email
Your Negro Travel Guide
« Reply #335 on: August 27, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
Hey guys,

I just started a new blog! Below is the link and a small blurb about it. If you like it, tell your friends.

Thanks...

www.yournegrotravelguide.word press.com

Your Negro Travel Guide is a certified scallywag from the southside of Chicago, by way of Brooklyn, NY. Through a combination of prayer, luck and sleeping with the right people he has been able to travel throughout more than 20 countries in the past 3 years. In his travels, as in his life, he has encountered a constant barrage of misfortune, misunderstandings and misadventure. Your Negro Travel Guide hopes to one day become a writer but for now he’s broke and following your passion doesn’t pay as well as well selling your soul. So until it does, he’ll be drowning as an investment banker in Hong Kong. Come let him regale you with tales of international coonery, buffoonery and tomfoolery every Monday to Friday.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
Law school employment prospects
« Reply #336 on: August 27, 2008, 12:28:08 PM »
Here is a graph that will be of help when trying to determine the employment prospects of your prospective law school's graduates

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

Rainmaker614

Law School for a student in Michigan/Midwest region.......
« Reply #337 on: September 04, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
So here is my question: What are the best options for someone that lives in SE Michigan that wants to go to law school and does not really have the credentials to go to a top 20 school (gpa 3.2 with an increasing trend- a 3.7 from my degree school consistently for 2.5 years and a 163 LSAT with URM-Native American status)? I know there is the obvious like Wayne State, Michigan State, and University of Detroit Mercy..... but here is where it gets tricky.... which of these are actually best to go to if you want to practice big law/corporate law and score a good job? I heard Wayne has the best reputation, MSU the best future, and UDM is making quite an impact itself despite the low rankings (like being mentioned in the Wall Street Journal and having a higher first year salary for graduates than both of the other schools). On a sidenote, which school is more giving on need based aid?

I want to practice in this region (midwest) so going to an out of state law school is out of the question unless it is a top school, is this correct? I figure the additional costs don't make up for the fact that, although a school may be T1 and nationally recognized, it won't really help if it's not in this region unless its a T20 school. Would it be safe to assume this? My numbers seem to get me into Emory, for example, but all thats mentioned with the school is how great they are in the area and in the SE USA, nothing about prospects of hiring in the Midwest region. So ultimately what I would like to ask is this: Is going to school out of state worth it if the school is not a T20 school, mainly if they want to practice law in the region they live? Wouldn't it be better to go to Wayne State or MSU (Tier 3 schools) that are well known in my region, than going to a school ranked 50-80 that isn't in my region?

I would really appreciate some input on this as I am applying to schools this month. Also please do not refer to the WSU v. MSU thread, I have read it many many times and it doesn't show much besides speculation.

Rajah

• View Profile
Are later callbacks bad?
« Reply #338 on: September 05, 2008, 11:00:47 PM »
I couldn't schedule a callback with a firm till October 10. Is there a disadvantage to having a callback so late? Like they make offers to everyone before me and I get screwed? Should I see if I can get it moved up earlier?

nontradintexas

• View Profile
    • LSN
Took June LSAT, taking Oct LSAT, when do I submit apps?
« Reply #339 on: September 06, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
I want to make sure that both LSAT scores are considered, so if I start sending apps now am I in jeopardy of only the June LSAT being used?  I've noticed on some of the school's sites that they do not begin to consider until 11/01, but is that standard?