Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 19394 times)

GoldenBear

• View Profile
Help a Canuck Out?
« Reply #300 on: July 04, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
3.9, 169, Canadian, large public university - yet another poli sci white male.

I have one unusual soft in that I was a varsity athlete.  This is at least 20 hours a week, sometimes much more, + travel with a full course load in an honours program.  I wasn't amazing, but I did finish fourth in Western Canada in my event this last year.  Think this will count for anything in comparison with the usual student government/debate society softs?

References will be strong, work experience is nothing special - though I will be abroad this coming year teaching.

I'll be in anywhere in Canada, but I'm interested in the T14 as well as I could see myself working in the US and there is a great legal education to be gained at many American schools.  I would unequivocally attend Boalt and up; schools like UVa, Cornell and Duke would depend on $ offered and my own feelings at the time.  So what do you think?  Blanket the T14 with apps?  Chances at Berkeley/NYU?

GoldenBear

• View Profile
Help a Canuck Out?
« Reply #301 on: July 04, 2008, 09:39:07 PM »
3.9, 169, Canadian, large public university - yet another poli sci white male.

I have one unusual soft in that I was a varsity athlete.  This is at least 20 hours a week, sometimes much more, + travel with a full course load in an honours program.  I wasn't amazing, but I did finish fourth in Western Canada in my event this last year.  Think this will count for anything in comparison with the usual student government/debate society softs?

References will be strong, work experience is nothing special - though I will be abroad this coming year teaching.

I'll be in anywhere in Canada, but I'm interested in the T14 as well.  I could see myself working in the US and I'm interested in the quality of legal education offered at the top tier of American schools.  I would unequivocally attend Boalt and up; schools like UVa, Cornell and Duke would depend on $ offered and my own feelings at the time.  So what do you think?  Blanket the T14 with apps?  Chances at Berkeley/NYU?

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How to study for October
« Reply #302 on: July 05, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »
So I took the June 08 test and scored 3 points below my goal.  I've registered for the October test but unfortunately I've done every test that's out right now.  I know one or two new tests will be released by LSAC between now and then and I can use those, but how should I study the old material?  I've read the Bibles already and with my current score, I don't think a test prep course would really be beneficial.  Please help.

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How to study for October
« Reply #303 on: July 05, 2008, 12:40:33 AM »
So I took the June 08 test and scored 3 points below my goal.  I've registered for the October test but unfortunately I've done every test that's out right now.  I know one or two new tests will be released by LSAC between now and then and I can use those, but how should I study the old material?  I've read the Bibles already and with my current score, I don't think a test prep course would really be beneficial.  Please help.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
restaurant fight
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Last night I went out to dinner with my friend Alicja. I ordered the fish sandwich, which, the menu told me, cost $15. I asked the waitress whether I could substitute the fries that came with it for a baked potato, and she told me that I could.

The sandwich was fair. The taste was there, only the fish piece was long and skinny, so half of it hung over the bun and half the bun bites had no fish in them.

The bill came:

Fish Sandwich: $17.50

“Excuse me, but I thought the menu said the fish sandwich was fifteen dollars.”

This wasn’t a date, I should mention. If Alicja and I were on a date, I would have let it slide, of course.

“Hmm…I think that’s because you substituted the fries for the baked potato.”

“I wouldn’t have made the substitute if I had known it’d cost extra.”

“Let me see what I can do.”

I assumed the waitress was going to try to take the $2.50 off the bill.

I was wrong. She sent the manager over, and his opening line was this:

“I understand there’s a problem.”

“I wouldn’t call it a problem, I just-”

“Julie here tells me that you’re not willing to pay for your bill.”

Well that pissed me off.

“Actually, I didn’t say that. What I said was that I wouldn’t have substituted my fries for the baked potato if I had known it’d cost me extra. Julie, I guess her name is, didn’t tell me that it’d cost extra, so I don’t see why I should have to pay.”

The manager got a menu, shoved it in my face, and pointed to the line that said, “All side-order substitutions: $2.50”

“Well,” I said, “that’s fine. But I didn’t see it at the time.”

“It’s right there!”

“It’s hardly clear and conspicuous, and the truth is, I wasn’t on notice, so I-”

“It’s right in the menu! Right there for you to see!”

I was making Alecja uncomfortable, so I said, “Fine, I’ll pay it.”

IMMEDIATELY the manager said, “No, no, it’s no big deal, we’ll take care of it.”

And so I didn’t pay the $2.50.

okay, future lawyers, who do you think was right?

-Rick @ http://ricklax.com

killjoy26

• View Profile
Top of TTT
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »
I posted this on the general board, but thought it might be more appropriate here...

Hey all -
I wonder whether any of you have experience or knowledge about how the top students in TTTs pursue the SA process. I have been fortunate to end up in the top 5 percent of my east coast TTT class, and am interested in exploring my BigLaw options, if I have any. My TTT is a specialty school, so I have that going for me I guess, but I'm generally clueless as to my prospects in the major markets. Thoughts? Advice? Other people in the same boat?

Thanks in advance...

cat16

• View Profile
Law school with an engineering major???
« Reply #306 on: July 10, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »
What do you guys think the chances for getting into law school are for someone with a Materials Engineering major? Any hope at all for Stanford, UC, Berkeley, etc...?

gpa 3.8
lsat 170

isittomorrowyet

• A man and his dead horse
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GlueIsRealGood
    • View Profile
You should probably rethink going to law school if...
« Reply #307 on: July 11, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
...The proof of the alcohol you drink is higher than your LSAT score.

Any other suggestions?

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Oregon.
« Reply #308 on: July 11, 2008, 10:54:10 PM »
Alright, I tried this in the "jobs" section, but no one replied.

I have been really fascinated lately with the idea of moving to Portland.  I'm gearing up for the job search for my 2L summer.  Does anyone know anything about the legal market in Portland?  I've done some internet research, but would like some first hand information.

I still like San Diego a lot, so I'm comfortable staying down here.  But, I've got family in Oregon and wouldn't mind heading up north.

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Buy New or Used 1L Books
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »
Just curious on whether people thought it was advantageous to buy new books?