Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 19947 times)

cs_rudy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
A Question For Transfers and Potential Transfers...
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »

As a 1L applicant, I tried to avoid the why I want to go to law school question at all costs. As a transfer applicant it seems overwhelmingly appropriate to answer the question "Why I want to go to YOUR law school". Do you think that's a correct assessment?

To those who have already transferred: What are the differences between the 1L essay and the transfer essay? Thanks a lot.

VDRomano

• View Profile
    • Email
Knowledgeable Advice Appreciated!
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering everyone's opinion on the following law school choice for the upcoming year.  I'm having a tough decision choosing between UCONN and Temple.  Rankings wise, Temple is pegged 59, while UCONN is 46.  The financial aspects of each school are listed below, with grants factored in.  My intent is to become a Prosecutor upon graduation,  and finances do play a role in my decision (which is why I narrowed my choices down to these two schools).  Up until last week, Temple was my top choice, as it seemed I'd have a legit chance to get a job at the DA's office upon graduation.  However, UCONN is ranked higher, considerably cheaper, and in a nicer area.  Would it significantly hurt my chances of getting a job in the PA if I went to UCONN?  I'm not 100% sure on where I want to practice, but I do want to allow myself the best opportunity to succeed in the future.  Also, the possibility of transferring is something I want to keep open.  I was accepted at William and Mary and American University, and wait listed at GW, BU, and George Mason.  My long-term goal/objective would to get a job in the U.S. Attorney's Office.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vince

Temple University (Estimated Cost):

Year 1 (Out of State) - $26,418
Year 2 (Out of State + .10%) = $29,059
Year 3 (In State + .10%) = $16,303
Total Estimated Cost = $71,780
(10,000) Payment (9/08) = $61,780

Temple University (Estimated Cost):

Year 1 (Out of State) - $26,418
Year 2 (In State + .10%) = $16,135
Year 3 (In State + .10%) = $16,303
Total Estimated Cost = $58,856
(10,000) Payment (9/08) = $48,856

UCONN (Estimated Cost):

Year 1 (Out of State) - $19,859
Year 2 (Out of State + .10%) = $10,572
Year 3 (In State + .10%) = $11,629
Total Estimated Cost = $42,060
(10,000) Payment (9/08) = $32,060

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"Moral Obligations" on Merit Money - Discuss
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »
So SMU, Cornell, WUSTL, Alabama, and BYU have all mentioned a "moral obligation" to repay scholarships.

Thoughts on this?

sennyk

• View Profile
    • Email
Democratic Primary
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2008, 10:04:15 PM »
I am not a law student, but I have been wondering about the legality of the democratic party ignoring FL's and MI's delegates. Before this country was founded, people complained about taxation without representation.  It seems that the democratic party is not allowing those states to be represented.  At first I thought that it was in the Constitution that everyone had to have representation (or have his/her vote counted).  Surprisingly, after perusing the Constitution, I found that it only prohibits nullification of votes for sex, religion, race, etc...  But no where does it guarantee the people to have representation.  Please correct me if I have overlooked something.

With that background does FL and MI have a legal right to vote for their candidate?  And can they take the party to court in order to get their delegates counted?  If not, is there some other way in which they can force the hands of the party?

soundsgood

• View Profile
Yet another advice thread, help appreciated
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2008, 06:00:47 PM »
I managed to finish the year Top 20% at a top 25.  Do I have a shot at any of the Top 14?  What schools?  Would it even make sense for me to leave?  Or should I just keep my substantial scholarship and continue on at my current school?

I'm aiming for Biglaw, and would want to stay on the East Coast.  I've already perused the Yahoo transfer groups site, and while marginally helpful, I was hoping to see what some others thought.  Thanks in advance.

USC2009

• View Profile
2 questions about cancelling your score and retaking the test...
« Reply #245 on: May 24, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »
1. Is it bad to cancel your score after taking the test?  I've been told that law schools see that you canceled, but does it reflect negatively upon your application?

2. If I needed to retake the test, what should be the minimum increase I aim for?  Let's say I want a 168 but I scored a 165.  While it seems like going up 3 points would be enough, I've heard that a 168 on your second try isn't valued as highly as a 168 on your first try (even by law schools that take the higher score).  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help.  My goal is a 168 and I'm scoring in the 164-165 range right now, so I'm somewhat worried about how I'll do in June.  I'm also having trouble recreating testing conditions, as Barnes and Nobles is way too loud but the library is way too quiet.

USC2009

• View Profile
2 questions about cancelling your score and retaking the test...
« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2008, 08:07:31 PM »
1. Is it bad to cancel your score after taking the test?  I've been told that law schools see that you canceled, but does it reflect negatively upon your application?

2. If I needed to retake the test, what should be the minimum increase I aim for?  Let's say I want a 168 but I scored a 165.  While it seems like going up 3 points would be enough, I've heard that a 168 on your second try isn't valued as highly as a 168 on your first try (even by law schools that take the higher score).  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help.  My goal is a 168 and I'm scoring in the 164-165 range right now, so I'm somewhat worried about how I'll do in June.  I'm also having trouble recreating testing conditions, as Barnes and Nobles is way too loud but the library is way too quiet.

tbuck4411

• View Profile
Targeted letters
« Reply #247 on: May 26, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
When might be an appropriate time to ask a recommender to write a targeted letter rather than a general one? For instance, my UG mentor/advisor earned his doctorate from my #1 choice school.. but NOT in law. I know this may sound like a stupid question, but would it be wise to ask him to target a letter to his alma mater?

Along the same lines, I am also applying to the university in which he currently teaches. Again, he is not in the law school, but would a targeted letter from faculty across divisions have any extra weight?

law questions

• View Profile
T30 to T5?
« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »
I am currently top 5% at a T30 school, will probably grade on to law review, am a legal writing TA for next year, and have a board position at one of the more prestigious students groups at the school.  I am applying to transfer to NYU and Columbia.  If my current school gives me a full scholarship to try to convince me to stay, should I take it?  Will I hurt myself competing with T5 students at OCI?  Will staying at my T30 effect my chances of making partner at a top firm?  What should I do this situation?

40 and I want this?

• View Profile
October 2003 LR Qst. 23 - Describe Flaw
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »
Perception cannot be a relationship between a conscious being and a material object that causes that being to have beliefs about that object. For there are many imperceptible material objects about which we have beliefs

What is the flaw? Is it that a counterexample doesn't necessarily make the permise about perception false?