Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 19229 times)

Need Help!

• View Profile
I guess I need help on how to do this right this time :)
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2008, 01:06:44 PM »
Hi everyone,

Since, I am retaking LSAT on Oct, I just want to know what is the right approach...I want to get around 170 this time  ;)
I know it might sound silly, but how do you guys think I should plan for this? (I have the bibles, pricton, Kaplan...:) and official LSATs)

I will really appreciate it :-*
Thank you

RockinJay

• View Profile
Florida Coastal, Valpo, Florida A&M, Duquesne and Arkansas - Little Rock
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
So far I have been accepted by the following schools and stacking each one against the other:

Florida Coastal
Valparaiso
Florida A&M (from Florida, in-state tuition)
Duquesne
Arkansas - Littlerock (T3, ranked higher than the others)

I am still waiting on Lousville, Loyola at New Orleans, NOVA Southeastern and FIU.

kcin

• View Profile
    • Email
Is my head on straight?
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. So right now I've been accepted at Creighton, Arkansas, and Nebraska. I've been waitlisted at Iowa and haven't heard back from Kansas.  Now if I get off the waitlist at Iowa, I would go there being an Iowa resident. I didn't recieve any money at Neberaska. Creighton's tuiton after 3 years would be about double the tuition at Arkansas. I am more familiar with the Omaha area but I am not opposed to working in Arkansas for a couple years until something else comes about. I know Nebraskas is ranked higher then both Creighton and Arkansas but I don't think the difference in ranking justifies the difference in debt I would take on. So is Arkansas my choice until I know what Iowa says?

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UT vs. Georgetown - GPA cutoffs?
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »
If I want to go intro IP litigation, how much do major firms' (such as MoFo, OMM, Sidley Austin, Paul Weiss, etc. - not Wachtell or Cravath, but still pretty prestigious) GPA cutoffs differ between UT and Georgetown?

If you throw out the year that UT fell out of the top 25, since 1990 UT's averaged 15.77th place, while Georgetown's averaged a shade under 14th, so Georgetown is probably considered a tad more prestigious. However, I'm not sure how that translates to firm hiring criteria.

An acquaintance of mine working at MoFo says their general UT GPA cutoff is 3.1, but she doesn't know what it is for Georgetown, or IP in particular.

Jenna8515

• View Profile
Alabama or Tulane?
« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
So I was waitlisted at Tulane, called today with a spot available. Which is what I have been waiting for all along. However, I just recently (within the week) got accepted to Alabama, which I was not expecting.  Money is a huge factor for me, and Alabama gave me money and is already so affordable.  I still need to talk to Tulane again about details, but probably won't be receiving any money from them. I don't know where I want to end up practicing, but probably not in AL... so is Tulane's more national rep worth the huge amount of debt in the end?

Any advice/thoughts is really appreciated; I have no idea what I should do. 

AppleDuck

• View Profile
    • Email
McGeorge versus Stetson
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »
I got accepted to both law schools and I have no idea where I want to go.

My parents are filthy rich, so money is not an issue whatsoever.  Because of this, I am not indicating which school is offering me money.

As for what I want to do with law...

I don't care, I just want to make a gazillion dollars.

Which part of the country I live in, what type of law I practice, etc. doesn't matter to me at all.  I am completely apathetic.  I just want to make big bucks.

Which law school would more likely help me reach such a lofty goal?
Pacific McGeorge '11

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
The guy that discovered LSD, the real thing, died yesterday, sad news...
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:06 PM »
Nothing to do with the LSAT, but it seems somehow relevant to this board in some way so I figured that I would share the news...  I am sad =(

Split into two parts due to that 10,000 character limit per post.

Sad News: Albert Hofmann died on Tuesday, April 29

Albert died of a heart attack on Tuesday morning, April 29, at the age of 102, fully lucid and deeply satisfied that LSD psychotherapy research had been permitted to resume. He spoke several months before he died about the renewal of LSD psychotherapy research, sponsored by MAPS and conducted by Dr. Peter Gasser in patients with anxiety associated with end-of-life issues, as the "fulfillment of my heart's desire."

Albert died several months after his wife Anita died on December 20, 2007, demonstrating that their love affair of over 70 years was the primary motivation for both of them to stay alive so long.

Obituaries for Albert have been printed in newspapers around the world, with links listed below. A moving obituary by Dieter Hagenbach and Lucius Werthmüller, organizers of the recent World Psychedelic Forum, is printed below.

With regards,

Rick Doblin, Ph.D.
MAPS President

Albert Hofmann, 11 January 1006 – 29 April 2008

An Obituary by Dieter A. Hagenbach and Lucius Werthmüller

At the age of 102 years, Albert Hofmann died peacefully last Tuesday morning, 29th April, in his home near Basel, Switzerland. Still last weekend we talked to him, and he expressed his great joy about the blooming plants and the fresh green of the meadows and trees around his house. His vitality and his open mind conducted him until his last breath.

He is reputed to be one of the most important chemists of our times. He is the discoverer of LSD, which he considers, up to date, as both a "wonder drug" and a "problem child". In addition he did pioneering work as a researcher of other psychoactive substances as well as active agents of important medicinal plants and mushrooms. Under the spell of the consciousness-expanding potential of LSD the scientist turned increasingly into a philosopher of nature and a visionary critical of contemporary culture.

g00

• View Profile
    • Email
08 GULC Waitlist - Email Updates
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »
Anyone else get the update from Andy today asking to confirm interest?

JDoodle

• View Profile
what advice would you give a freshman?
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2008, 02:14:23 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been hanging around the board for the past few days. I'm wrapping up my freshman year, and I'm wondering what I should do to increase my chances of going to a top 14 law school...

My GPA first semester was quite low (3.357) because I was taking some hard science classes and calc, but this semester I'm working really hard and expecting a 4.0. I've figured out that I could end up with a 3.88 GPA and a 170+ LSAT (I took the sample one from the LSAC website last week and scored 161 so w/ hard work I should be able to raise it...).

I can look up my scores on LSN/any calculator, so I'm not necessarily asking what my chances are in that sense. But in your experiences, what do you think I should do in addition to my numbers? Does anything else really matter? I know there's a thread about what you would do differently, but what SHOULD I do if I'm going to try to get into HYS? What makes the difference between someone with great numbers who doesn't get into HYS and somebody with decent numbers like mine who does get in?

I know that a lot of people on this board have a thing against "gunner" types, but that's really not who I am. I just want to figure out what I should be doing early enough in case I need to change anything I'm doing... Does that make any sense?

Thanks in advance!

porkandbeans

• View Profile
this years waitlists vs. years past
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2008, 03:51:26 PM »
compared to other years, what do you guys think will happen with the waitlists this year, (not with a specific school, but overall).

i ask because i have a feeling the crappy economy might cause more people to actually enroll rather than defer, therefore the schools will not go to the waitlists as frequently.

what do you guys think of this theory?