Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 19363 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Poll: At what point should life be protected?
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:57 PM »
When does life begin?  Do un-born children deserve protection?

Brigadoon

• View Profile
Creighton
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
Has anyone ever considered Creighton University as a possible Law School.  It seems like a very affordable school that is at the top of Tier 3.  Thoughts?

rebelfan286

• View Profile
    • Email
Transferring & Class Standing
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
I understand that when transferring from school to school, grades will not be transferred.  My question is, how is a transfer student incorporated into the new school class rank?  Can a student who started at the school during 2L actually graduate with honors?  top 10%?  Number 1 in class? 

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
Villanova WL
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
SO, here's my story. I'm sure there are a million that feel this way, but I'm getting completely frustrated with the admissions process. I thought by now I would have heard from everywhere, and I have for the most part. I just want to know where I'm going so I can start planning, etc etc. However, like so many out there, this cycle seems neverending because of the massive number of waitlists I'm on (I know there are people with more but still, sucks). The only school I've gotten an acceptance from that I would be happy attending is Seton Hall (i know theres a lot of hate, but its the 1 of 2 T2 schools I've been accepted to-- the other L&C and I have no interest in working over there, and when i visited I felt at home--not in newark haha but the vibe was right). Sometimes I feel like giving up and just "settling" for SHU but I'm on the waitlists for some pretty good schools, all of which I'd be happy attending: Penn State, Miami, Rutgers Camden (deferred at Newark), UConn, and Villanova. So I decided I'm going to pursue most of them - sooo to finally get to the point, after the standard LOCI which I've already sent, what else do you do? I'm visiting Villanova on Friday and am scheduled for a tour. Does anyone have any advice? How do I stand out? There's going to be another student there but I think it might just be the two of us. What kind of ?'s do I ask? How do you dress? I know for ASD its much different because you're already in. I'm also still in undergrad, female, and don't own a women's suit yet haha. Also, will they remember I visited when they go to the waitlist in a few months? How do I get them to? I know this post is incredibly long and more like just my mind spilled out on a forum haha but I'd appreciate any help -- general or specific to the schools I mentioned. Also, how would you rank the schools I mentioned (not by Usnews lol) in order from which you'd attend most to least? (including Seton hall). Would looove any feedback!

law student 08

• View Profile
    • Email
Loyola Worth $60k in Student Loans for 1 year?!
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »
Loyola Law School (Los Angeles) is the higest ranked school that I've been accepted to, so far.  And naturally, I did not receive any scholarships, only loans.  I received my estimated financial aid letter and I need to take out $59,850 to pay tuition and cost of living expenses!  I mean $50k is one thing, but almost $60k is a whole different monster! 

Is it worth it to take out this much money on LLS?  I'm very concerned that I could come out of law school with over $180k in debt (assuming tution increases over the next three years).  I don't want to have that much debt. 

I'm seriously considering taking my LSATs again and getting a bigger score, which might open up more scholarship opportunities at the schools that I apply to (My GPA is around a 3.5).

law student 08

• View Profile
    • Email
Loyola - Worth $180k in debt for three years?
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
Basically I received my estimated financial aid award letter and it says I need to take out $59,850 for one year to cover tuition and living expenses.

Multiply that number by three and we're at nearly $180k for three years of law school! 

Is it worth it for Loyola Law School (Los Angeles)?  I'm very concerned about coming out with almost $200k in debt! 

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
UC Hastings Class of 2011 - No football team, no problem!
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2008, 11:48:12 PM »
As much as Hastings gets talked about on this board, I'm surprised there isn't a Hastings accepted students thread. If I don't get any more acceptances and I don't get off my waitlist (or potential future waitlists), I will be Hastings bound in the Fall. So, who else is ready to live in The City, go to school in The 'Loin, live in The Tower, and spend Sundays in the fall watching the 49ers play at The 'Stick?  ;D

ChiJD

• View Profile
Crap. Things just got Way more Difficult!
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »
Just found out I got into Univ. of Washington. Seattle is probably one of the only cities I could see myself living in besides Chicago.  I was planning on enrolling at Chicago-Kent, but now this throws a wrench into things. I have a scholly at Kent, but it's still gonna cost me over $50K/year. I know, that's a ridiculous amount of cash for Kent. So now with UW, I'm definitely leaning towards Seattle. Better school, less expensive, yada yada.

Only problem is my girlfriend. She's very supportive and knows that I need to do whatever is best for me and all that. We've been together almost 5 years and could see ourselves getting married. BUT, if I go to UW, it could be a problem. She has a great job in Chicago, all her family is here, etc. So if I go to UW, I'll be going by myself. Can that work for 3 years? Seems unlikely. Might she move to Seattle with me in a year when she can put in for a job transfer? Possibly, but I can't bank on that possibility.

So what to do? Take out more loans for the lower ranked school in order to be with the woman I want to marry? Or go to the better school with less loans and hope that we're strong enough to get through whatever life has in store for us? I'm really at my wit's end, as I have to send in a deposit ASAP. Any thoughts will be appreciated, thanks!

rofdm

• View Profile
lsac gpa
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »
Hi,
I know this has been asked a number of times, but I'm still a bit confused as to what lsac uses to calculate ugpa. I went to community college for the first two years of undergrad and did really well, but after I transferred to my regular university I was around 9 classes short of a Associates Degree that I figured I might as well pick up. The classes that I picked up toward my Associates do not transfer towards my Bachelors, but will LSAT still use them in calculating my ugpa? Also, I've withdrawn from 3 classes... These are marked by a "W", which kind of freaks me out because i've never heard of a "Withdraw-fail".. I dropped these classes early in the semester because of conflicts with work so I'm not really sure how lsac will deal with them. Any responses would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Adam