Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 18960 times)

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
Why do we tolerate the Amish?
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »
?

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Seriously: Why do we tolerate the Amish?
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2008, 03:13:34 PM »
?

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Seriously: Why do we tolerate the Amish?
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"Should you really be a lawer?"
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
I read "Should you really be a lawyer?"  by Deborah Schneider and it didn't really help me at all.  I feel like it should be called "You shouldn't be a lawyer, unless you're crazy, or you've worked for a law-firm before"
I already work with contracts all day, and I have to deal with three-foot-tall stacks of paperwork, so I know I can handle that.
I don't really care to hear "what makes a good lawyer" but please give me your comments on this question: What kind of person likes being a lawyer?

The Nicker

• View Profile
Indiana ($$$$) v Texas v GW (?)
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »
Ok, so as a long time casual peruser of the boards at LSD, I'd always told myself I'd refrain from entering the jungle myself, but I suppose the weight of my decision is weighing on me and so now I've reached out for advice. I suppose one could look at someone who doesn't post for months until they ask for advice as selfish; I choose to look at it more along the lines that a 0L who has not one friend or immediate family member who has recently gone through the law school process should not give their opinion on what is better for someone else seeing as they don't know anything. Without further ado . . .

So I've read enough topics on this board to know that most of you are going to tell me to go to Texas, but bear with me here. I'm straight out of UG, no loans (thanks Mom & Dad), and on my own financially starting when I graduated in December. Also, I'm blowing my savings this summer on an awesome trip, so I'll start in September somewhere near 0.

I want to enter environmental law, and will stick to the belief that I want to wear the white hat as long as I'm able. I'd like to work in a private environmental PI firm eventually, but I'm not naive enough to think I can hitch on to one of the few firms nationally that's doing that kind of work (a more realistic goal might be a position with the EPA). Corporate environmental defense has NO appeal to me, nor does any other kind of Big Law. I'm therefore under the belief that my starting salary will be somewhere around $50,000 when I come out, whether I get the job I want or maybe my second or third choice.   

I'm from the Midwest and have no allegiance to anywhere in the country, nor do I have allegiance to anyone. Now on to offers . . .

Just got recently into UT, my #1 since day 1. Love Austin, love the campus, great law school. I'm the type or person that would have taken Texas over half the T14 (not that you snobs would believe me). Scholarships are pending but unlikely in any form from UT (maybe in-state?). Still, it's the best law school on my list, and would likely give me many opportunities I might not get from my other choices.

Indiana sent me my full-ride offer two months ago and have been steadily wooing me ever since. Bloomington is an awesome college town (in the top 3 college towns in the Big 10 with AA and Madison) and when I visited the law school I loved the feel and the library. Plus, and this is a big plus, I'm currently negotiating with IU officials to extend my full-ride offer to a 4 year JD/MPA program with SPEA (#1 in the country for environmental policy, which Big Law could care less about but THEY claim would open up lots of law-related public interest opportunities for me). IU Law just got the $25 mil hook-up from Eli Lilly, which throwing money around like Pac Man Jones in a strip club at both elite students AND professors (right? RIGHT?).   

I threw in GW there just to give y'all a standard (I've pretty much narrowed to these three). They are likely going to give me $0 aid and I'd have to take out 200  g's to go there, although they likely could really help out my prospects in DC, I'd probably have to enter corporate enslavement to keep from living on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. 

So there you have it. One other additional (and only somewhat related) question: what's the standard practice on committing to two schools? Are the schools aware of this? Do I have to make them aware of this? Will a school like Texas consider throwing me a pittance if they know I'm on the fence?

Do your worst people . . .

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Sending an additional letter/LOCI
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
Here is my situation. I was deferred and since have been WL'ed at my #1 choice. While I was deferred I sent an LOCI. After the WL, my suspicion is that I was not accepted due to an OWI three years ago (my LSAT is above the schools 75% and my GPA is close to their median). I plan  to call the bar in the state I hope to practice in and ask how this will affect my admission to the bar. If the response from the bar is favorable, would it be appropriate to send another letter/LOCI stating the following:

1) The response I was given by the bar
2) More specific reasoning about why they are my #1 (I wasn't very specific in the first LOCI)
3) State continued interest throughout the summer

I do have to send in a sheet stating my intention to stay on the WL, so I'm not sure if the portion about continued interest is applicable. Anyways, overall thoughts on my situation?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is this Really the Case?
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »
By now, I'm sure most of us are becoming more and more versed to what current/past law students claim about the realities of law school teaching and education. We are often warned repeatedly that we shouldn't go into law school banking on any type of class rank or GPA, or even any notion of how well we will do. Many claim that law school grading is purely "random" and getting top grades, ultimately, comes down to "luck."

This makes me wonder. After being in school for so many years, we have become attuned to the fact that people, even those who may not be especially "intelligent," can do well in school if they just put in hard work and dedication. Now that we embark on this voyage of law school, is all of that really out the window? After reading the graduate side board, and talking to some current and recently graduated law students, this sentiment seems to run deep.

By no means am I trying to imply that I think simply working hard (studying for hours and hours upon end) is going to achieve good grades. There must be a balance between working smart and putting in the hours. But for someone who attacks law school intelligently (that is, putting in the hours and studying in a manner that is construed as "smart"), is it really the case that his/her grades (and future) will be determined by pure luck?

What are your thoughts? I have to feel that the majority of the students on these boards understand the warning that is provided, but yet, they, themselves, feel that they'll do well (b/c, frankly, most people here have done well throughout school). To any current or recent graduates, what are your thoughts? Is this a myth used to scare 0Ls like me?

carlylerun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Would I be stuck practicing in KS/MO post KU? KU vs. Seattle & job market
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »
Does University of Kansas have really poor placement (i.e. limited to Kansas-Missouri), or are they better than their ranking? I hear they have a truly helpful career services (and have been given some scholarship money), however am not content with my other options, however do not want to be in the midwest post Kansas. I have the sense that KU the school is the best of the bunch (other options are in the PNW although at a far higher price tag), but KC the area is the worst by far. I'm also fairly liberal, and KS (outside of Lawrence) seems far too conservative.

I'm also considering Seattle University, but am put off a bit at the sheer size of the school. In essence, it's size versus location versus price.

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To Break up or Not to Break up (Need advice)
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »
I have a girlfriend of 7 months. In the beginning everything was going well. Towards the 4th month into the relationship. we started seeing each other less and less. She is running a family business which requires long work hours 7 days a week, and therefore she has no time for dates. When we barely began dating, she took the time off from work to hang out. Now she feels that the relationship isn't on top of the priority list so we meet once a week if we're lucky.

But here's what bothers me. I understand she works long hours but that isn't the primary reason why we never see each other. She has semi-antisocial personality where when she in a bad mood, she wants to be alone; She cannot see anyone, including me. I just feel duped, mocked, and in truth this whole downward spiral with her is hurting my dignity and feelings. I'm always in stand by in case she wants to hang out. I talked this out with her and shes says thats her personality and its unlikely that she will change. What would you do in my position?

zibbs

• View Profile
Duke v. St. John's v. Cardozo
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »
Long time/first time.  Help me decide.  I got in to Duke with no money, but got full tuition scholarships at Cardozo and St. John's.  I'm not big law or bust, but don't want to rule it out either.  I'm interested in IP and hear Cardozo is good with IP, but people around me are screaming "Duke is Duke."  To complicate matters my girlfriend of three years, marriage material, is studying in Manhattan for the next 3 years.  Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

In: Duke, G-town, Vandy, USC, Cardozo, St. John's, NYLS, Brooklyn
WL: Columbia, Penn, ND