Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 18315 times)

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hawai'i / Oregon / Gonzaga
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »
Ok, I have been accepted to a number of schools but I think I am narrowing it down to these three.

Oregon Ė I am an Oregon resident (In-state tuition=20k.yr) and the University of Oregon would be a very easy adjustment for me.  Itís the highest ranked of these. It is well respected in the state=LC, I love Oregon, I like Eugene and love the UO campus.  I also think I want to end up in the PNW late in life but I am in no hurry to commit to that.

Hawaii- Out-of-state tuition looks to be about 24k/yr, I have spent most of the last 5 years living, studying and working in Japan and throughout Asia.  I also speak Japanese.  Hawaii seems to place its Academic focus on the Pacific Rim and I would like to explore the professional option of doing transactions law in Japan and be in a place the understands that goal.  It would also be a good place to maintain my language skills.  I also wouldn't mind seeing if Iíd like to live in Hawaii long term.

Gonzaga Ė 15k/yr Scholarship brings tution to about 15k/yr.  My family lives in Spokane, My dad teaches at the Gonzaga school of Eduacation, My Grandfather used to be on the board of Regents there, My parents have offered to help me buy a house in the area during school and my Uncle has been practicing family law in the area for 30 years (He knows most of the lawyers in town).  While this is a T3 school, it is the only law school in the entire region and is VERY well regarded in Spokane.  I donít mind living in this area and even if I end up with 50k/yr job after graduation, I can still live like a king.

I have not heard a decision from UO yet but that is where I am leaning towards (If I am accepted), as it seems to strike a good balance between the practical choice of Gonzaga and the roll-the-dice choice of Hawaii.  If they offered me money, It would probably seal the deal.  I would also consider Lewis & Clark in Portland (Where I live now) if they were to offer me money that matches the cost of UO but I highly doubt I would get it with my numbers.

SO, anyone have an opinion on this? Should I consider any of the other schools on my LSN? This is turning out to be the most difficult decision Iíve ever made. 

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
University of Maryland Scholarship Interview
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
Is anyone else going?  Has anyone gone?  Will you tell us what to expect!?  Anyone else getting a little frustrated with the lack of information about the whole thing?
Boston College Class of 2011!

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
ITT Bearly Wonders Whether Anyone Thinks Boston Legal Is At All Realistic
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
It's not. Every episode would prompt at least one disbarrment. It's f-ing ridiculous. How can people watch this?

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What's the longest you've had to wait for a school to request your report?
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »
I threw a last minute app to WUSTL last Monday after spending the weekend with StL residents of whom I am fond. I don't expect to get in, but YOU NEVER KNOW.

But, they have yet to request my LSDAS report. It's only been a week, but I think all my other schools hopped to it pretty quick-like.

Normal? Just too darned busy? How long did you have to wait for some of your schools?

It would be great if schools could give your app a cursory glace and if they knew you were an auto-reject just decline the report and refund your app fee.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

Botbots Number One Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
THAT'S IT! I'm going to Tulane.
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2008, 04:36:11 PM »
Ok ok not really.  I am still probably going to Chicago, but botbot's rabid Tulane posts have cast a shadow of doubt upon my selection.

I LOVE YOU BOTBOT

intheband

• View Profile
deferral/hold - visits and LOCIs
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »
Can a visit be helpful in showing interest in the school (similar to LOCI)?  If so, should I stop by Admissions?  I'm assuming most schools get many visits from applicants, so maybe it doesn't matter...but I would assume that most applicants would only visit schools they were seriously interested in before being admitted.

Also, confusion on the LOCI...advice on this board says don't send one until you hear from the school - does deferral/hold count as hearing from the school (vs. waitlist)?

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Who do you think is the best Admissions Dean?
« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2008, 04:24:07 PM »
I thought UC Hastings guy was so awesome. He was genuinely nice and funny, unlike any other. In his presentation, he emphasized finding the right reason for law school, even if it sounds naive like saving the world. He also mentioned a lot about the campus being in the heart of downtown where all the ghetto ppl live. On the other hand, I think Berkeley could use a better rep.

tashakies

• View Profile
    • Email
UC Davis -whats taking so long??
« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Checked on LSN and it seems most people who were complete around I was received a decision. Whats going on Davis?? Your decision will have a significant impact on my future address for the next three years!
come on......................

lizzytrojan

• ICQ Messenger - 199868093
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lizik4ever
    • View Profile
GULC or Cornell?
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »
I am trying to decide between the two schools. I am interested in working in New York after I graduate. I am also interested in International Law in which GULC is ranked 3rd on USNEWS. Help!  :)
WooHoo!: Georgetown, Cornell, Northwestern
Meh... (WL):
Boo )=:

"Let there be light," said the miner and then he cut the wire.

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Places to stay in DC
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »
Anybody know where I can find an affordable hotel anywhere near Georgetown or GW?  I just checked out prices and almost died.  $300/night!?

The GW admissions office recommended the State Plaza, but of course, they are full around the Georgetown ASW.  Then there's the Washington Court, where you get a couch bed for $179/night and the TV's apparently in the bathroom.

This is insane.  I'm staying for three nights.  My car is starting to sound very cozy...

yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en