Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP HERE - should I take Testmasters?  (Read 18383 times)

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
Is anybody else an El Vez fan? Just curious.
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2008, 02:41:31 PM »
?

just ducky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
apply at schools just for negotiating purposes?
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »
okay, maybe this is a silly idea, but I'm interested in what all you think.

I've already applied to the schools that I am actually interested in - University of Maryland, Georgetown, GW, and Penn.  I really want to stay in the Baltimore/DC area, so I'm not even sure if I'd be interested in Penn.

I got a bunch of fee waivers, and I'm thinking of applying to other schools just so I could potentially have bargaining power for scholarships at the schools I'm actually interested in. I figure, it's only twelve bucks, and if a higher ranked school offers me a generous scholarship, I could write a letter to the schools I'm really interested in saying, "Well, I'd really love to attend school XXX, but school YYY has offered me a scholarship."

any thoughts?  or is it totally ridiculous to apply to schools that I have absolutely no interest in attending?
Georgetown University Law Center '11

In: Maryland, GW, Northwestern, GULC, Penn, NYU
Out:
WL: Columbia
WL, rejected: Michigan
Pending:

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Contacting schools about retake
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2008, 01:38:59 AM »
If I e-mail the schools to find out my potential benefit from a high February LSAT, should I stay anonymous or use my name?  I don't want to somehow be negatively affected if I decide not to retake but the schools thought I was retaking...

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Can Someone Explain How Schools Decide What the Cost of Attending is?
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »
I don't understand how some of these schools arrive at these numbers.  For example, Miami has estimates for tuition, books, transportation, all that, which im fine with.  But, then they got room and board, listed at 10,673.  I dont understand how they get this #.  Living in SoBe/Coral Gables/any other decent neighborhood around there is gonna cost at least 1,200/mo, and thats for a sh1tty studio.  And it doesn't even include food.  And of course, anythin else you spend money on isnt included either.  So what happens to that difference there?  Do they expect us to get a private loan for it? I'm sure any other school in a big city is like this as well

Guy Who Farts A Lot

• View Profile
    • Email
that one smells fruity
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »
almost like berries.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Non T14 (Boston U Law School) median student can only get a $40,000 job
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »
January 16, 2008, 12:03 pm
Law Blog Q&A: Kirsten Wolf, Law School Naysayer
Posted by Peter Lattman
A brief item in the New York Postís Page Six magazine caught our eye. In a story spotlighting women up to their ears in debt, the Post interviewed Kirsten Wolf, a 32-year-old BU Law grad. It left us wanting more, so we connected with Wolf this morning and had her tell us her story. From time-to-time, weíve focused on the dark side of the law. Put this interview in that category.

Give me your CV.

I grew up outside of Boston. I started college at NYU for a year but had to leave for money reasons. Because it was the early 1990s and there was a recession I decided to learn a trade so I had a skill. I went to culinary school, which I did for two years. I then cooked at night and put myself through school, graduating from UMass-Amherst with an English Lit degree.

And post college?

I then worked for about a year doing data entry work for an engineering firm. I decided then that I need to be doing something more interesting so I was trying to make some decisions about graduate school and thought about getting a doctorate in English Lit and going into academia. But I knew too many smart, well-educated people who were unemployed so I wanted to make a more practical decision and considered getting an MBA but wasnít sure what I would do with that. So law school seemed to be right in the middle. It was esoteric enough to satisfy the part of me that had made me consider academia but practical Ė I wouldnít be, I thought, poor for the rest of my life. I had just put myself through college working full-time and I didnít want to live like that anymore. So I applied to law school and got into BU.

Howíd you afford it?

I got enough financial aid to make it work as long as I took out a lot of loans and figured that would be okay because my expectation was that I would be making a reasonable amount of money when I got out, based on both conventional wisdom that lawyers do okay and from the law school admissions material that I had been reading. BU and schools like it listed an average starting salary of $85,000.

Howíd you like law school?

I hated it and loved it. I found the intellectual exercise fascinating. But what I didnít like was the sense of ďI gotta get a job, I gotta get a jobĒ and the tense competition for what I realized as time went on was just a few lucrative jobs.

How were your grades?

I was like a B+ student, right there in the middle with most people. So it was the fall of second year when everyone was applying for summer associate positions and I realized I wasnít going to be one of the chosen few who was going to get those jobs. I had a moment of realization that once that golden ring was taken away I realized I didnít want to be a lawyer for the sake of being a lawyer and I reconsidered everything I was doing and realized I probably was in the wrong place, but I was about $45,000 in the hole at that point and if I walked away Iíd have nothing and still have debt. So I finished law school so I could at least have the degree and maybe a miracle would happen and Iíd get a job.

Did you get one?

I passed the Massachusetts bar and there was no job. This was 2002 when the dot-com bust was hitting white-collar trades. It was a bad time. The dean of our law school apologized to us in our graduation speech. So I continued to work for the engineering company I had worked at through law school and spent the year trying to figure out what I wanted to do. And I realized the directions I had gone in up until this point were wrong and I needed to rethink everything. I was 27 years old and I had been trying to do the right thing and that all that had gotten me was upwards of $100,000 in the hole.

Whatíd you do next?

I moved to New York City not knowing what I was going to do. Once I got here I spent about five months unemployed and became interested in publishing. I thought maybe that would make me happy. I got a job by accident as an office manager for a literary agency and realized it was the perfect place to be. It was the job I was uniquely designed for, using my literature skills, my legal skills and the small business management skills I acquired doing the jobs I had been doing through my 20s to pay the bills.

Whatís your debt situation now?

Right now I owe $87,000 on my student loans. I work in a business now thatís not lucrative, so Iím on a 30-year repayment plan. But Iíve decided doing something I care about is worth financial sacrifice.

You mentioned to the Post that youíre on a mission.

Iím on a one-woman mission to talk people out of law school. Lots of people go to law school as a default. They donít know what else to do, like I did. It seems like a good idea. People say a law degree will always be worth something even if you donít practice. But they donít consider what that debt is going to look like after law school. It affects my life in every way. And the jobs that you think are going to be there wonít necessarily be there at all. Most people I know that are practicing attorneys donít make the kind of money they think lawyers make. Theyíre making $40,000 a year, not $160,000. Plus, youíre going to be struggling to do something you might not even enjoy. A few people have a calling to be a lawyer, but most donít.

But is there any value in your law degree?

Yes. I do get value out of it. It helps in the work that I do as there is legal component to being an agent. It makes my clients feel better. But is that worth paying student loans until five years before my social security kicks in?

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/01/16/law-blog-qa-kirsten-wolf-law-school-naysayer/#comments

hollystott

• View Profile
    • Email
LOUISVILLE'S BRANDEIS SCHOOL OF LAW
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »
Hey I was wondering if any Louisville applicants have received anything from them. I applied in Oct, and I didn't even receive a letter saying my application was completed. This is freaking me out a little. Is anyone else having any trouble? I've noticed on LSN that no one has yet to be admitted, so maybe they are slow. I emailed the admissions office to make sure they have everything they need. I would feel better if everyone was experiencing this :) hhahaha.

alexjudka

• View Profile
    • Email
Mix and Match
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »
Just a quick question...I plan on taking the June 2008 LSAT and I have recently begun to prepare for the said date. I quickly was able to identify Logic Games as my extreme weakpoint in this test. To try and fix this problem I have started out by working with the Powerscore Logic Games Bible. I planned on doing this, in addition to other prep work, until late Feb. when a Kaplan course I am enrolled in will start up at my University.

I was just curious if using the Powerscore Bible's Methods for Logic Games would clash with Kaplan's methods, and in fact be counterproductive?

Thank you...

nikoi

• View Profile
yet another PS thread...anyone free to edit?
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »
Strengths and weaknesses would be beneficial. Thanks!

The loudspeaker crackled to life calling the womenís mile competitors to the start for the NCAA championship race. I sauntered forward trying to still the nervous energy that brewed within my body. Chaos surrounded me. Fans were screaming, officials rushing about, coaches yelling last minute advice; I yawned, my lucky yawn, and knew then that it was going to be a great race. I toed the line, letting the teeth of my spikes sink into the surface of the track, marveling at the energy that danced throughout the arena. My jersey hung slack over my body, my legs were loose, and my mind clear, a stark contrast from the runner I had been only months before. The starter barked for us to line up as silence descended over the raucous crowd, leaving the air pregnant with anticipation. I thought, like I always did, about the irony in the tranquility of this moment and how violently interrupted it would be when the fury of racing would unleash.

The gun cracked and I darted from the line, jockeying for my favorite position in third. A competitor dug her elbow into my side, causing me to falter and clip the runner in front of me. Quickly, I worked to regain footing so as not to lose much ground. There, away from the rail, I settled into my rhythm. It is in this place that I feel complete freedom. Bound by nothing but the restrictions I place on myself, my potential seems limitless.

The mental aspect of a race is where the greatest of wars are waged. It is neither a place where a coach can guide nor spectator witness. Out on the track, a runner is both profoundly present in the moment and also utterly alone. Somewhere, deep within the race, a runner comes close to death. By ignoring all signs from the body demanding that the infliction stop, the runner instead chooses to pursue the goals of the heart.

This point for me came entering the final lap. Lactic acid had long since been preying on my system, but now my body was combating a new level of assault. I responded by pressing on, picking up my speed to a dizzying pace. As I barreled down the home stretch, my form began to waver. I put my head down and feverishly pumped my arms refusing to give in. At last the finish came. Crossing the line, I immediately doubled over gasping for air, and broke into a deep smile. With the completion of that race, I had successfully stared pain directly in the eyes and vigorously defied its searing grip. In doing so, I had traveled beyond the personal limit I had consistently known. In that race, I had entered wonderfully, unfamiliar territory. Exhausted, yet satisfied, I strolled off the track reveling in a daze of euphoria I never wanted to forget.

My life has been very much like my races, sometimes unfolding favorably, other times not. What I have learned is to always keep constant my drive to overcome hardships. The season of competition leading up to the NCAA meet gave me this value, allowing me to no longer let adversity serve as a scapegoat for my shortcomings and thus opening an avenue for me to succeed. I came to understand that if I wanted to be accomplished, I could not wait for the perfect circumstance to arise, I had to be the creator. My decision to apply to XXX comes as a result of this desire to continue to be a creator of opportunities, both for myself and for others. I seek admission at XXX, because this environment is conducive to the academic intellect I strive for in preparation for a career in law. I am confident that the qualities I will add will bring a unique and dynamic presence to XXX and I feel equipped to tackle the rigors associated with the study of law, due to my love of overcoming challenges. With my time as a student-athlete nearing an end, I look forward to channeling my energies into seeking unchartered intellectual territory within my studies as a student of law.

eestiarmastus

• View Profile
UNC
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »
Has anyone applied to UNC and heard something back? From looking at LSN it seems like they've made hardly any decisions - so I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait.