Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.6 / 161 Can anyone suggest some big schools in small ponds  (Read 1357 times)

thedudeabides

• View Profile
    • Email
3.6 / 161 Can anyone suggest some big schools in small ponds
« on: November 22, 2009, 01:30:47 AM »
Right now I live in Southern California.  Lots of schools.  Very competitive.  I think I can get into Loyola, USD, and Pepperdine.  Not sure about UC Davis and UC Hastings.  I can get scholarship money for Southwestern and Cal Western.

I'm wondering if there are better options available out of state.  In particular, I'm thinking about law schools that dominate the job market and have less competition with other schools in that state.   I love California but I'm not particularly tied here. 

I'm thinking about places like Tulane and UNLV.  Anyone have other suggestions?  Also, any decent schools out there that could offer me some scholarship money?

Thanks.

zojirushi

• View Profile
Re: 3.6 / 161 Can anyone suggest some big schools in small ponds
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
Looking at schools with less competitive markets than LA is a very good idea.  I think University of Houston and Richmond are solid bets with your numbers.  Houston only competes with UT in Houston which is the country's 5th largest legal market.  Richmond competes heavily in DC, but puts a large number of students into clerkships as it is the capitol.  Colorado is also a good bet if you would enjoy Denver. 

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »
I'm just spit-balling here:

SMU, UMiami/Florida/FSU (I know these are three schools, but they seem to dominate the FL market), USD, McGeorge (really only other competition is Davis), 'Bama, Emory, Minnesota ...

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »
Might want to try the Arizona schools, New Mexico and Utah.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
Looking at schools with less competitive markets than LA is a very good idea.  I think University of Houston and Richmond are solid bets with your numbers.  Houston only competes with UT in Houston which is the country's 5th largest legal market.  Richmond competes heavily in DC, but puts a large number of students into clerkships as it is the capitol.  Colorado is also a good bet if you would enjoy Denver. 
While I agree that Houston would be a good school for the OP to look at considering his numbers, Houston competes not only with UT but also South Texas and, to an extent, SMU and Texas Tech. Still, it's a good idea to consider.

thedudeabides

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Houston looks like a good one to consider.  And I am considering New Mexico as well. 

More suggestions welcomed.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:59:12 PM »

Houston looks like a good one to consider.  And I am considering New Mexico as well. 

I think picking a big school in a small pond is a good idea. I go to Tulane. I'm not sure whether it fits that definition or not. It's the best school in the state, and places well in LA, but doesn't exactly dominate, esp. since many want to leave the state afterwards. I'm from the South and have a scholarship so I think it was a good pick for me, but might not be for you.

A state school might be better. Oregon and Hawaii also occur to me.

thedudeabides

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »

I think picking a big school in a small pond is a good idea. I go to Tulane. I'm not sure whether it fits that definition or not. It's the best school in the state, and places well in LA, but doesn't exactly dominate, esp. since many want to leave the state afterwards. I'm from the South and have a scholarship so I think it was a good pick for me, but might not be for you.

How does Tulane and LSU compare?

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »

How does Tulane and LSU compare?

They're very different. Tulane is a school that draws people from almost every state. The focus is generally on Common law, though you can take Civil Law classes too. LSU is the big state school and it's aimed at Louisiana students. Their curriculum combines common and civil law. I think it's really only good if you know you want to stay in Louisiana. That people said, LSU and Tulane probably have pretty similar placement within Louisiana, Tulane better eveywhere else. I have don't have any statistics though...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 03:36:09 AM »
For best results, apply to the following:

Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Iowa, Miami, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oregon, Tulane, Wisconsin.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.