Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 168 with a 2.88 GPA?  (Read 2590 times)

Beefullo

• View Profile
168 with a 2.88 GPA?
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
Here's where I'm at:

- Just got back from my 2nd to last Princeton Review prep test, and I scored a 168. I've gone up consistently every test (each is an actual former LSAT).
 - I graduated from the University of Texas with a degree in History last May with a 2.88 overall GPA.
 - The 2.88 is only from classes I took at UT. I transferred in from a CC after one year, where I made a 3.6. I'm assuming that will factor in and help me out a little.
 - I have a very strong trend upward. My GPA by semester starting with my sophomore year was 1.8, 3.0; 2.75, 3.25; 3.5, 3.75. That's not counting the handful of summer classes sprinkled in, most of which I made As or Bs in.

I know this board is inundated with such topics, but what kind of law schools can I expect to get into with these credentials assuming I can replicate that score on Dec 5? I have good letters or reccomendation - including one from the most tenured history professor at UT - and a resume that consists mainly of sports writing and broadcast (I currently am a writer for Yahoo Sports).

So, what are your knee jerk reactions? I would be very, very happy to get into UT Law, but I'd probably pass up the chance to go there depending on if I could get into any T14 law schools on the East Coast. Honestly, I'm skeptical that I could even get into UT law with my GPA, though. Here's to hoping.

Thanks in advance.

Beefullo

• View Profile
Re: 168 with a 2.88 GPA?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »
2 extra questions:

- I know I need to go through LSAC, but what are the actual steps I need to take to find out my LSAC GPA? That would help a lot as far as law school prediction calculators go.

- How fast should I expect to get the score of my LSAT back?

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I think your gpa will keep you out of UT-Austin. Check this out.

http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Someone else will have to comment on the t14. I was under the impression that they were more selective than Texas but don't know that as fact.
  As for you other questions, your lsdas gpa shuold be the same as your cum. gpa if the schools you attended use a 4.0 system. Keep in mind that lsdas will count every grade that you ever received even if these grades were made up or the classes retaken or whatever. This includes  withdrawal-fails. If you have any of these, just add up all your hours and all your grade points and divide. This is what I did, and my calculation was accurate to the tenths.
  You should get your lsat score right around the date that lsac posts. Typically, they come out a day or so earlier, but don't quote me on that.

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »
I transferred in from a CC after one year, where I made a 3.6. I'm assuming that will factor in and help me out a little

Classes taken at a CC absolutely factor into your LSAC UGPA so that 3.6 will help you more than 'a little'.  Grades in CC classes count for just as much as classes taken at a four year university, as far as your LSAC UGPA goes.  If UT recognized a class and gave you transfer credit for it, it will very likely be calculated into your UGPA.
USD 2L

Beefullo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »
No withdraw/fails here. I figured as much with UT, but one can always hope. Perhaps I should have said something more in the range of t30-t50. T14 is way too optimistic, I suppose.

UT gives credit for classes transferred, but they don't factor them into your GPA.

If I don't get into UT, my big decision will be weighing the rest of the lawschools in Texas versus higher ranked schools elsewhere. My father (attorney) recommends I stay in Texas if I want to practice in Texas, but I can definitely see the advantages of going to a higher ranked law school up north somewhere as opposed to the SMU/Baylor/South Texas type schools down here.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »
If I don't get into UT, my big decision will be weighing the rest of the lawschools in Texas versus higher ranked schools elsewhere. My father (attorney) recommends I stay in Texas if I want to practice in Texas, but I can definitely see the advantages of going to a higher ranked law school up north somewhere as opposed to the SMU/Baylor/South Texas type schools down here.

Conventional wisdom is on your father's side. If you do plan on working in Texas, you should definitely go to a school here. Tulane and Oklahoma U also place in Texas, so you might consider those though I don't know why anyone would choose any place in Oklahoma over any place in Texas. This is a great state, and you can make good connections by remaining here. If you get an excellent lsat score all Texas schools aside from UT should be in play.

rejectmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
To the OP -
   Calculate your LSAC GPA, it will certainly be higher than your Degree GPA since you slayed a 3.6 at CC. LSAC counts all college grades received before a first bachelor's degree, even if you received ungraded credit for it when you transferred.

So, I'd say you're probably you're at a 3.07 just by averaging 3 years of 2.9 and 1 of 3.6, raising your GPA .2 points.

All things considered, get in the 170s and a lot of doors will be opened. I've heard some ridiculous things happening to splitters (regardless of when you apply, since a lot of people don't provide notice of matriculation until the spring).

! B L U E F E R N !

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »
...December test be hardest ever...