Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A question about attire  (Read 2178 times)

The Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
A question about attire
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »
I'm interviewing for an internship position with the State Attorney's Office, and I was wondering what the proper attire would be for the interview, and subsequently, if I get the position, the job itself. Full suit and tie too much? Suit without the jacket?  Dress pants and dress shirt not enough? Lay it on me.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: A question about attire
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »
I'm assuming you're male.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Conservative suit (2 or 3 button only), navy or grey (not black!!!), well tailored.  White or light blue shirt, conservative tie--nothing cute, funny, or remotely resembling a Hawaiian shirt).  Plain, cap-toe shoes, preferably balmoral and shined.  Most places today will try to sell you these square-toe'd, duck-bill shoes.  While popular, they are not conservative.  Dress socks should match your trousers, belt should match your shoes.

Basically like this without the pocket square:

After getting the job, you should take your clothing cues from those who work there.  Don't out-dress them (much), but definitely don't under-dress.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:50:21 PM »
Suit and tie for the interview and first day or two. Even if it's a cheap suit and tie, wear a suit and tie. At work, take cues from the natives and blend in.

You're applying to the State Attorney's office for a job that could well lead to you being an attorney for the state, dress the part.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

The Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:11:12 AM »
Good advice, gentlemen. My only concern was that, considering it's an unpaid internship and that I'm not in law school (yet), a full suit would be overkill. I can see that I was mistaken. I've heard "you should dress for the job you want, not the one you've got." I guess this applies.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
I've heard "you should dress for the job you want, not the one you've got." I guess this applies.

To a point.  Don't show up in a judicial robe or anything. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:09:37 AM »
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.