Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.76; 176; Black Male. Looking For Great Advice.  (Read 3280 times)

Warbucks

• View Profile
2.76; 176; Black Male. Looking For Great Advice.
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
Hey all,

I don't have a chance at Yale or Stanford and pretty sure Harvard is out of the question as well but what about the other T14 schools?

I'd really like to go to Columbia but obviously would be open to NYU, Northwestern, Chicago, UPENN or Georgetown. Any advice you guys could offer would be great.

A little background: I attended a NESCAC school, am actively involved in a couple of non-profits and currently work for either the number one or number two law firm as a paralegal.

Thanks!

;D

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: 2.76; 176; Black Male. Looking For Great Advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »
Unless you have a really good reason why your GPA is a 2.7, then I don't see CLS taking you either. I think you have a good shot at the lower t14 (Penn on down).
YLS c/o 2009

Warbucks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »
I took Japanese my freshmen year and received two Ds. Is that a good enough reason?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
I took Japanese my freshmen year and received two Ds. Is that a good enough reason?

no.
YLS c/o 2009

beverly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
i think you have a shot, i've seen stranger things happen

Applying early is key (before Dec 15th if possible)

Just make sure your personal statement and addendum is flawless. 

the schools that you mention don't have the breakdown listed on acceptance by GPA  and LSAT like many schools do

I think with your lsat you could get a full ride somewhere, EVEN with your low GPA

so hopefully you will be more open.

good luck
Cumulative G.P.A Undergrad: 3.6

LeveragedSellout

• Swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:17:54 PM »
lol

beverly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:27:24 AM »
what is the sarcasim about with the 'lol'. The person who is laughing, did you get into anyones law school to know anything about this process?

Since the original poster scored in the 99th percentile, meaning you did better than 99 percent of applicants who apply, and with the LSAT generally being the single most weighted item for consideration, you should at least apply to Harvard if that is where you want to go.. I know a guy who applied to harvard later in the cycle, and scored in the lower 170's with a GPA similar to yours and got waitlisted at Harvard. He did have a hard major however (science/math). I believe that he would have gotten in if he applied earlier.
Cumulative G.P.A Undergrad: 3.6

LeveragedSellout

• Swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »
what is the sarcasim about with the 'lol'. The person who is laughing, did you get into anyones law school to know anything about this process?

Since the original poster scored in the 99th percentile, meaning you did better than 99 percent of applicants who apply, and with the LSAT generally being the single most weighted item for consideration, you should at least apply to Harvard if that is where you want to go.. I know a guy who applied to harvard later in the cycle, and scored in the lower 170's with a GPA similar to yours and got waitlisted at Harvard. He did have a hard major however (science/math). I believe that he would have gotten in if he applied earlier.

the "lol" had more to do with the fact that op has basically spammed every known law school-related website with the same set of questions, although now they've become real numbers rather than hypothetical. In other words, he is lying.

I actually did pretty well on the lsat myself though. thanks for asking. one thing that helped was knowing not to make unwarranted assumptions.

OBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:02:38 PM »
Touche, sir. Touche.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 09:47:19 PM »
Which law firm? Which non-profits?

Hey all,

I don't have a chance at Yale or Stanford and pretty sure Harvard is out of the question as well but what about the other T14 schools?

I'd really like to go to Columbia but obviously would be open to NYU, Northwestern, Chicago, UPENN or Georgetown. Any advice you guys could offer would be great.

A little background: I attended a NESCAC school, am actively involved in a couple of non-profits and currently work for either the number one or number two law firm as a paralegal.

Thanks!

;D