Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice for a Freshman.  (Read 664 times)

Threshold

• View Profile
Advice for a Freshman.
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:07:50 AM »
Hello everyone, I am currently a freshman in college and I have plans to go to law school. I am currently on track to make the dean's list at my school. I have always wanted to get accepted and attend one of the best law schools in the country. Its my dream to accepted to Harvard's and UC Berkeley's law school.

If you could, can you please provide me with some advice for the next four years? What steps should I take to secure my possible acceptance?

Thanks,
Lex.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a Freshman.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:22:40 AM »
Don't take any "pre-law" classes (except maybe a poli sci constitutional law class).  Experiment with a variety of different courses until you find a subject that really interests you.  Major in that.  Take classes that will improve your writing skills.  Get involved in meaningful extracurriculars (not the "pre-law" club), especially those that provide leadership opportunities (which you should seize).  Study abroad.  Consider other career choices.  Form good relationships with profs.  Again, consider other career choices (including grad school).  If, by the beginning of your junior year, you're still convinced you want to go to law school, then study like hell for the LSAT and aim to break 170 within the year.  Work on an amazing, thought-provoking, non-cliched personal statement.  Have everything done by the end of the summer following your junior year.  Apply as soon as schools start accepting apps.  Choose Yale, Harvard, or Stanford over money.  Otherwise, take the money.  Don't do any "pre-law" program over the summer.  Take it easy and relax.