Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer Friendly Law Schools  (Read 11742 times)

HTNguyen

• View Profile
Transfer Friendly Law Schools
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:31:27 AM »
Anyone know which schools are transfer friendly?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Friendly Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »

Top law schools would be Georgetown and WUSTL.  None-top law schools would be most state schools with huge class sizes. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:56:10 AM »
I think Florida State vacuums up more transfers than anywhere else.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »

Do you have a number?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »

Do you have a number?

They took in 61 transfers last year.

OP, look at LSAC.org for each school's ABA law school data and see which ones take in the most transfers
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 05:46:23 AM »

There's a book out on this if it's not been mentioned.  It's title is The Art of the Law School Transfer, by Andrew Carrabis and Seth Haimovitch.

Transferring law schools is trickier than it might at first seem, and comes with numerous personal considerations, among them a loss of GPA at the new school, often a last-in-line position for course selection and scholarships, and feelings of loneliness among a new crowd.  For the right person it can be a great opportunity, but it's important to go into it with one's eyes open. 

Importantly, for those considering transferring for the job benefits, those are real.  Interviewers will be curious, but not (usually) in the negative sense.  They'll be impressed by your motivation and perseverance, and will want to know that you can handle yourself.  As most transfer up, the vocational boost can be quite significant.

Also, the deadlines for transfer applications are quite strict.  (And, unlike most applications, the final decision on transfer applicants is often made by the dean of admissions personally.)  Of special imporance are grades, both in what they are and in getting them in on time.

Best of luck to you,

Thane.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »
There is a guy in another thread talking about transfering with below a 2.0  do you guys think any of those schools listed above would take  him?

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:39 AM »
I think even Cooley wont take him now.  The only path I see is making sure to graduate and then prove yourself to be a top litigator.
Otherwise he can say goodbye to legal profession.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »

There's a book out on this if it's not been mentioned.  It's title is The Art of the Law School Transfer, by Andrew Carrabis and Seth Haimovitch.

Transferring law schools is trickier than it might at first seem, and comes with numerous personal considerations, among them a loss of GPA at the new school, often a last-in-line position for course selection and scholarships, and feelings of loneliness among a new crowd.  For the right person it can be a great opportunity, but it's important to go into it with one's eyes open. 

Importantly, for those considering transferring for the job benefits, those are real.  Interviewers will be curious, but not (usually) in the negative sense.  They'll be impressed by your motivation and perseverance, and will want to know that you can handle yourself.  As most transfer up, the vocational boost can be quite significant.

Also, the deadlines for transfer applications are quite strict.  (And, unlike most applications, the final decision on transfer applicants is often made by the dean of admissions personally.)  Of special imporance are grades, both in what they are and in getting them in on time.

Best of luck to you,

Thane.

Where do you practice now?  Can you hook me up with a job?

mrosmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »
How well would I have to do at Ohio Northern to transfer to a Low T1/High T2 school?