Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's a realistic target score?  (Read 1717 times)

skah-uh

• View Profile
What's a realistic target score?
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
First let me thank everybody who has contributed their knowledge to this helpful forum.

My question is this: As a white male with a GPA of 3.72 (upward trend, last two years nothing below an A-, 4.0 average), two years of paralegal experience, great academic and professional recs, foreign language fluency, and generally good softs, what should my target LSAT score be if I want to get into Boalt? Stanford? Harvard?

I intend to enroll in a prep course this winter (probably Powerscore or Testmasters) and then self-study until the June test.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What's a realistic target score?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »

skah-uh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »
180?  Are you serious?  Might one get into Boalt, for example, with a score in the low 170's?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »
You may.

But you're asking for a score that will "get you into into" Boalt, Stanford or Harvard.

The only score that can meet that strict and invariable standard of "getting into" any of these schools is a 180. Otherwise, you may or may not get into Boalt, Stanford or Harvard with a low 170. You certainly won't be guaranteed admission.

skah-uh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
Fair enough, and thank you for your comments.  Perhaps I should be more specific about what I'd like to know.

Basically, I'm under the impression that my GPA is toward the lower end of the spectrum for these schools.  I'm trying to determine if I have a reasonable shot at getting into the schools with a score of, say, 173 on the LSAT (aware all the while that there is no guarantee, these schools are tough to get into, etc.).  Would such a score make me a competitive applicant?

Any thoughts?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
I'm not an expert on American law school admissions, but if I had to estimate, I would say that a 175 LSAT score would give you a 50/50 shot at Yale and Harvard.

Boalt is heavily reliant on ECs, so it's hard to tell. But an upper 160 to low 170 should be enough with strong ECs and LORs.

skah-uh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 05:33:36 PM »
Anyone else?

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 05:43:08 PM »
173/3.76 with no relevant work experience here. I was in at Boalt 36 hours after they got my app--a 173 should do it, especially if you're in-state. Harvard, its harder to tell. I was waitlisted, and dropped off the list when I got in where I wanted, so I don't know. I know of plenty of others with the same numbers as me who got either straight up rejected or accepted. Stanford's a tough school to get into, period. But in any case, your target score should be a 180--why shoot for less than perfect?
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

skah-uh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 09:48:30 PM »
Congratulations getting into Boalt!

kittensinabasket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Go to lawschoolnumbers.com or lawschoolpredictor.com ... both will give you an idea of what LSAT score will give you likely admission to a given school with your GPA.