Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Struggling in tax; need good supplement  (Read 3791 times)

exgratia

• View Profile
Struggling in tax; need good supplement
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
Hello. I'm taking federal income taxation and I'm at the point where the concepts are just running together. Is there a good black letter outline or some other supplement that could help me sort things out?  I use a casebook written by Samuel A. Donaldson titled "Federal Income Taxation of Individuals." I also have a supplement by Posin and Tobin titled Principles of Federal Income Taxation.

Thanks for the tips.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling in tax; need good supplement
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:05:07 AM »
Hello. I'm taking federal income taxation and I'm at the point where the concepts are just running together. Is there a good black letter outline or some other supplement that could help me sort things out?  I use a casebook written by Samuel A. Donaldson titled "Federal Income Taxation of Individuals." I also have a supplement by Posin and Tobin titled Principles of Federal Income Taxation.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm in fed tax right now, and I can't be sure about how much my supplement will help.   I got the Federal Income Tax crunchtime book.  It has flow charts, summaries, and short answer questions.   It's helped me to organize the ridiculous amounts of detail.  It's not comprehensive, though, so I'd only get it if you have good notes and an okay understanding of your class.

exgratia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »
I'm glad you responded. Unfortunately, I think I'm in a little worse position than you are. Have you ever worked with the E&E book? Thanks.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »
I'm glad you responded. Unfortunately, I think I'm in a little worse position than you are. Have you ever worked with the E&E book? Thanks.

No, sorry.   I loved my E&E for Civil Procedure and Property though.

And just to clarify, you don't need to have a strong understanding of fed tax to use crunchtime.  However, the problem with crunchtime is that they aren't a good source for the raw information.  So if you've been able to follow along with your professor and get the basic information together, the book will help you tie it all together.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:17:46 PM »
I used the E+E for tax I. It's quite good.

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

sunnykate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »
I use the Donaldson casebook as well and I'm struggling too.  Probably because my professor started really slowly in the beginning, maintained that slow pace for a few weeks, and then kicked it up.  My plan is to read the entire book in 2 weeks, take notes as I go, and incorporate any information from the Gilbert's Taxation of Individuals outline that I find helpful.  Also - going to spend time reading all the code and regulation sections that are referenced in the book.  This is not going to be a fun 2 weeks before the exam but it can be done... a positive attitude is required.

PatentlyAbsurd

• View Profile