Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston Law Center vs. Tulane  (Read 1123 times)

Hookem Horns

• View Profile
    • Email
Houston Law Center vs. Tulane
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:17 PM »
Currently attending UT-Austin for my undergraduate (Gov't major).

Stats= 3.4 gpa 162 LSAT

Would love to get into UT-law but dont think I have a shot, currently looking at Tulane or Houston Law Center any suggestions on either of these would be great, or any other schools any of you'll think I may have a shot to get into.

Thanks for the input if any!

mccarthy

• View Profile
Re: Houston Law Center vs. Tulane
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
You and I share similar numbers (3.49, 162), and I am also in Texas and looking at those schools. One of the main factors that I noticed was cost. Even out-of-state costs at UH are much lower than the 38 thou that Tulane charges. In terms of ranking, I think Tulane is higher but negligibly so. One thing's for sure:I'm already sweating thinking about living with the humidity of either place. Have you looked at texas tech or smu, and, if so, what are your thoughts? By the way, good luck in the process.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:16:36 PM »
How do you feel about FSU, Miami, and the SEC?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »
It's definitely worth applying to both. I got to Tulane. Lots of Texans here and I've haard we place well in Houston. If you have to pay sticker price it's not worth it though. I had similar numbers to y'all and got a pretty decent scholarship. They may be less generous with scholarships for these numbers next year, however, since they had a higher yield rate than they were expecting with this years class and they want to get a smaller class size. I don't know much about Houston. I think you're pretty limited to Texas, but if you're OK with that it should be fine.

Hookem Horns

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:33:27 PM »
Ninja,I haven't looked into any SEC school, which would you recommend for me? I wouldn't mind living in Florida if the job is right. Im born and raised in Austin, Texas and already work for a court reporting firm that my mother owns(downtown Austin), and feel that I can get a job somewhere around here preferably San Antonio or Austin due to her connects through the legal world.

Mccarthy, the only way that I'm going to Tulane is if I get offered money. I have looked into Tech and SMU and feel that Houston Law Center may be better then both due to the market and costs.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:14:23 AM »
Ninja,I haven't looked into any SEC school, which would you recommend for me? I wouldn't mind living in Florida if the job is right. Im born and raised in Austin, Texas and already work for a court reporting firm that my mother owns(downtown Austin), and feel that I can get a job somewhere around here preferably San Antonio or Austin due to her connects through the legal world.

I'd say apply to FSU, Miami, and the SEC schools (except Vanderbilt), depending on where you want to live for three years and maybe longer. Alabama and Georgia might be reaches, and Vandbilt isn't happening, but you can probably get into all of the rest. And with your LSAT, you might be able to get a good scholarship out of one or two of the lower ranked schools that you can then try to leverage against a higher ranking school.

The fact that you already have pretty good setup in TX should make it fairly easy for you to return if you want.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
I'd recommend only going outside Texas if you're getting a much better price than Houston/SMU/Baylor (or going to a national school, but that's not an option).