Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham v. UCONN  (Read 1139 times)

hairyballsagna

• View Profile
Fordham v. UCONN
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »
Fordham full fare or UCONN in state w/ 10k a year. Plan on staying in New York/Tri State market.

nycparalegal

• View Profile
Re: Fordham v. UCONN
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »
I should say this: I know quite a few people we went to UCONN and ended up in good jobs in NYC.  It's a good school and in this economy I don't think there really is a difference between UCONN and Fordham, in terms of reach.  There both regional schools with ties to the NYC market. 

Do you honestly, think that paying full cost is worth it?  Keep in mind, it's not just 30k your saving.

The in-state tuition is $20,500. With your scholarship your looking at 10,500, plus you will probably be living at home (right?), so you cut down on the expense of living costs. You can end up after law school with less than 40,000 (UCONN) vs 195k (Fordham)

And, you will have just about the same opportunities in this economy.  I'd go with UCONN, if it was just between Fordham and UCONN.

But, it's also your choice about where you feel more comfortable.  Do what you want but keep in mind the above information.  Good luck.

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »
I should say this: I know quite a few people we went to UCONN and ended up in good jobs in NYC.  It's a good school and in this economy I don't think there really is a difference between UCONN and Fordham, in terms of reach.  There both regional schools with ties to the NYC market. 

Do you honestly, think that paying full cost is worth it?  Keep in mind, it's not just 30k your saving.

The in-state tuition is $20,500. With your scholarship your looking at 10,500, plus you will probably be living at home (right?), so you cut down on the expense of living costs. You can end up after law school with less than 40,000 (UCONN) vs 195k (Fordham)

And, you will have just about the same opportunities in this economy.  I'd go with UCONN, if it was just between Fordham and UCONN.

I thought I already posted here, but I apparently not.  Anyway, I agree with nycparalegal.  Cost of living in NYC is ridic!

But, it's also your choice about where you feel more comfortable.  Do what you want but keep in mind the above information.  Good luck.

PatentlyAbsurd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:18:17 PM »
I went to UCONN and graduated in 2008.  I have been working in biglaw for a little over a year now and have been earning a great salary doing so.  While there are people at my law firm from every conceivable law school, I can tell you that there is no difference between those who went to schools like Fordham, UCONN, and other similarly ranked law schools.  We are all paid the same and are evaluated on the quality of our work.  Unless you are talking about a top 10 school, there really is no appreciable advantage to choosing a school that is 5-10 slots higher in the rankings in any particular year.  In this economy, in particular, I would recommend the cheaper option.  When considering your scholarship and the vast difference in cost of living, I would say that UCONN is the obvious choice.  Let me know if you have any questions about the school.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »
UConn.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.