Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does a model answer look like?  (Read 4485 times)

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
What does a model answer look like?
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
 Just got back my midterm and I was really disappointed about how bad I did on it. I still do not understand why. I feel like I still dont know what exactly my teacher wanted to see. Since it was only an hour long test, I was very pressured and probably wrote very wordy because I felt like I had to write something down. My question to you who did well in your first year is, what does a model answer look like? Do you have to IRAC every essay question? How long do you have to write for each part of the IRAC process? Would one or two sentences for rule be enough? I am so clueless. Please help me out. Thanks for any advice in advance.
p.s. I just feel like the amount of info I have to study is so overwhelming, but I also realize you can only write so much in one hour, so there has to be somethings the teacher really wanted to see, which means we didnt really have to memorize everything we learned or read. I just dont know what those are...

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What does a model answer look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »
Just got back my midterm and I was really disappointed about how bad I did on it. I still do not understand why. I feel like I still dont know what exactly my teacher wanted to see. Since it was only an hour long test, I was very pressured and probably wrote very wordy because I felt like I had to write something down. My question to you who did well in your first year is, what does a model answer look like? Do you have to IRAC every essay question? How long do you have to write for each part of the IRAC process? Would one or two sentences for rule be enough? I am so clueless. Please help me out. Thanks for any advice in advance.
p.s. I just feel like the amount of info I have to study is so overwhelming, but I also realize you can only write so much in one hour, so there has to be somethings the teacher really wanted to see, which means we didnt really have to memorize everything we learned or read. I just dont know what those are...

Welcome to law school.  Figure it out.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
He's looking to see that you are smart enough to identify the legal problems.  This means (1) whether you use one rule or another; and (2) whether the facts fit the given rule.  Use headers for each issue.  Headers are your friend.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »
Right, you should be stating the rule, but more importantly, APPLYING THE RULE TO THE FACTS.

Anybody can regurgitate the law, but applying it to a unique set of facts is what will get you an "A."

jzaylia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
I agree with what the others have said, but what's missing in the other advice, respectfully, is the rationale.  I wrote an article about this.  it's coming out in the ABA Student/Lawyer Magazine this December, but I'm sure you need the advice now.  So, please see my blog about this very subject: http://jessie-zaylia.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

I've also posted something another blog on "the legal question," but I don't know if that is something that concerns you.

Good luck!

Jessie

fllaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 05:14:55 AM »

Find a copy of "How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams"
# Publisher: John Delaney Publications; October 2006 edition (November 2006)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0960851453
# ISBN-13: 978-0960851454
# Product Dimensions: 10.6 x 8.2 x 0.5 inches

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 01:19:21 AM »
Personally, I found THE best way to figure out how to write an exam was to read a model answer beforehand. That way I know how to analyze the fact pattern the professor has given me. This method hasn't failed me yet. And as someone else said earlier, Headings are your friend. The easier you make it to read for the professor, the more likely they will be able to find the points you have buried in a 25 page exam.

I should also add that by "model answer" I don't mean the crap in the supplements or what a professor writes. I mean a real model answer from a student written under time pressure. They're usually hard to find via google but definitely worth the glance.

I've found the commercial model answers always suck and bring up too much crap that is rule heavy and not analysis heavy. Bad way to write an exam.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:39:54 PM »
You only need to remember two thing.... T and/or F.

Profs love those nice easy to grade short and  easy answers.  ;)