Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it too late!!!  (Read 6369 times)

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too late!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
Yes, I decided to go to law school just in the last week, long story.  A little background: I'm 51, graduated from med school in '84, practiced until '93 when I decided to stay home with the kids.  Going through a divorce and see this as a great time to get a fresh start on life. Don't want to practice medicine, but rather do advocacy work.  Kaplan starts a course on 11/8, and I still have time for late registration for the Dec LSAT. Since I'm not working, can devote lots of time to study.  Kids will graduate from college may 2010.

thanks for any feedback

Go for it!  Us non-trads have to stick together.  It is NEVER too late to invest in yourself.  So you may never be a partner.  Who cares?  You may not make $160k the year you graduate - is that why people go to law school?
Do what makes you happy.
Good luck!

solate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »
Reading comprehension is the most difficult section to improve on. Some of us are just not good readers. What worked for me on test day was that I started with the most difficult section (usually the science passage) and moved to the easier sections. I found that I was always slow in understanding the first reading passage, so I might as well take the most time on the most difficult passage. I got 23/27 correct on the June 2009 reading section (which is considered good) by practicing a lot of reading sections and using my method. But reading can be a crapshoot, as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, had not thought of doing it that way.  Will try it out!!! Also thought I would read through the questions first to get an idea of what to hone in on.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »
IMHO, you're going to waste too much time searching for which passage might be the most difficult.

solate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »
Yes, I decided to go to law school just in the last week, long story.  A little background: I'm 51, graduated from med school in '84, practiced until '93 when I decided to stay home with the kids.  Going through a divorce and see this as a great time to get a fresh start on life. Don't want to practice medicine, but rather do advocacy work.  Kaplan starts a course on 11/8, and I still have time for late registration for the Dec LSAT. Since I'm not working, can devote lots of time to study.  Kids will graduate from college may 2010.

thanks for any feedback

Go for it!  Us non-trads have to stick together.  It is NEVER too late to invest in yourself.  So you may never be a partner.  Who cares?  You may not make $160k the year you graduate - is that why people go to law school?
Do what makes you happy.
Good luck!

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  At this point in my life definitely not looking to make partner or a ton of money. As cliche as it might sound, if I can be of service to someone else using my gifts, then that's where I'm headed.  Too many things are leading me down this path and if I'm misreading it, then it will become evident.

Have a study schedule set and am ready for the challenge.  The possibility of going back into the classroom is getting more exciting everyday!

solate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »
IMHO, you're going to waste too much time searching for which passage might be the most difficult.

Will check it out on the practice tests!

FortheDefense

• Time means nothing in infinity and jelly dougnuts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:57 AM »

thanks for any feedback

Absolutely not! I am 47 and am taking the Feb 2010 test. My undergrad GPA wasnt the best, but I know scoring a 150 or better locks me into law school. At this stage I really dont care what type of school I get into as long as it is in the DC area. I wont get into Gtown or GWU, but perhaps Catholic, GMU, or UDC. I just want to get in, graduate, pass the bar, and take cases. We have NOTHING to lose. If I have to, I will venture out to Appalachian which is in Lundy VA. Bottom line, its never too late and some law schools will accept you based on your age to market the older non trad student for the future! Best of luck.....Kevin
"I could have gotten a conviction on Simpson's police statement alone!"
Vincent B
"If you dont police the police then who does? YOU police the police by your verdict, so stand up and show some integrity"
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century

solate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
FortheDefense:

Thanks for the encouragement!

Have started studying...it is more interesting than I thought.  Best of all it is more conceptual than memory, very different than I'm used to...which is a good thing.  Totally agree with "nothing to lose", at this point, the cost of the test is negligible, and my time a much more precious commodity (considering if I wait a year, I wouldn't start until I was 53 :o ) Appreciate you putting me in the same category as a 47yo...51 sounds so old, but I feel so much better than I did 10 years ago!

Best of luck to you, too :)

FortheDefense

• Time means nothing in infinity and jelly dougnuts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »
Well I am sick of putting this off....paid the 198 dollars which included the 66 dollar late fee and found a seat in the college up the street to take the Dec LSAT. My reading skills are suspect, my analytical and logical reasoning arent much better, my writing is horrible and I am 47. Damn the torpedoes......FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!
"I could have gotten a conviction on Simpson's police statement alone!"
Vincent B
"If you dont police the police then who does? YOU police the police by your verdict, so stand up and show some integrity"
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century

solate

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
Well I am sick of putting this off....paid the 198 dollars which included the 66 dollar late fee and found a seat in the college up the street to take the Dec LSAT. My reading skills are suspect, my analytical and logical reasoning arent much better, my writing is horrible and I am 47. Damn the torpedoes......FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!

Right there with ya!  There's no better time to start then now!  I was pretty confident before I started studying, but now, am starting to have some doubts...however, it is all about POSITIVE thought and right action.  Will be interesting taking the test with all the twenty-somethings, but am sure that all that youth will be energizing. As they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained", so here's (imagine a toast) to venture!!!!!!

solate

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 10:46:38 PM »

So how's the studying?  Who knew there could be so many types of LR Q and As???!!!! It's all going to have to come together soon, not much time left.  Good luck!