Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LGBT question...thoughts/information  (Read 2689 times)

tlee

• View Profile
    • Email
LGBT question...thoughts/information
« on: November 06, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »
Hi,

I'm applying for 2010 in the NJ region(Rutgers my #1).  I've attended culinary school, awesome internships and such in terms of my career path (food policy-ie. organic farms, M&M Mars, Nat'l School lunch program), and I'm currently an AmeriCorps volunteer for a nonprofit in Paterson, NJ (a 1 yr assignment focusing on education, youth, and community development).  I've had incredible experiences and I highlight them well in my prsnl st.

Stats:
I went to 2 schools...1st was 3.57 gpa, 2nd was 3.7 (while working almost full time throughout)
LSAT: 150 (Sept)  taking it again in Dec

MY QUESTION: Is it worth it to submit an additional essay about being a gay guy??...It's not my deciding factor for pursuing law, but I could never say it has no influence and I could certainly explain it with relevancy.  I know some schools encourage such pieces ( I guess the have the man power to read a lot or really need diversity), but is it worth it for all schools?  Thanks for your help because, as usual, I'm confused about where my sexual orientation comes into play.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT question...thoughts/information
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »
Some schools actually ask on their applications if you are gay (but doesn't have to be answered). I talked about it in my personal statement since it is a large part of who I am and how I've become the person that I am. For others, it isn't such a big deal. You could write a short diversity statement about it.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
Where does being heterosexual come into play during the application process?
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

tlee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »
Scentless Apprentice,

It comes into play where your right to marriage is denied by ballot measures and people kill heterosexuals simply because of that fact.  You have absolutely no idea; I beg of you - walk a day in MY shoes.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »
I gotcha, it's an insensitive comment.

I'm just confused as to why choosing to have sex with the same gender should give a person any consideration in a law school application.

Please don't use the word diversity. I'm just wondering how your sexual decisions matter for academic considerations.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »
Yes. Definitely write a statement. There is a value to having a diversity of perspectives and experiences, especially in the legal classroom, and schools worth going to recognize this.

Hi,

I'm applying for 2010 in the NJ region(Rutgers my #1).  I've attended culinary school, awesome internships and such in terms of my career path (food policy-ie. organic farms, M&M Mars, Nat'l School lunch program), and I'm currently an AmeriCorps volunteer for a nonprofit in Paterson, NJ (a 1 yr assignment focusing on education, youth, and community development).  I've had incredible experiences and I highlight them well in my prsnl st.

Stats:
I went to 2 schools...1st was 3.57 gpa, 2nd was 3.7 (while working almost full time throughout)
LSAT: 150 (Sept)  taking it again in Dec

MY QUESTION: Is it worth it to submit an additional essay about being a gay guy??...It's not my deciding factor for pursuing law, but I could never say it has no influence and I could certainly explain it with relevancy.  I know some schools encourage such pieces ( I guess the have the man power to read a lot or really need diversity), but is it worth it for all schools?  Thanks for your help because, as usual, I'm confused about where my sexual orientation comes into play.
Penn Law Class of 2011

Joey Porsche

• Ya feels me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:24:34 AM »
Yes. Definitely write a statement. There is a value to having a diversity of perspectives and experiences, especially in the legal classroom, and schools worth going to recognize this.

Maybe if I tell the schools about all of my freaky sex fantasies, I'll have better admissions chances too!

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:13:44 PM »

Maybe if I tell the schools about all of my freaky sex fantasies, I'll have better admissions chances too!

Yes, you should! It has helped me lots so far! ;)