Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Risk of Employer Contact  (Read 596 times)

jamie9

• View Profile
    • Email
Risk of Employer Contact
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:03:48 AM »
With the standard law school application comes an authorization to contact your employer should they need to verify any information in the app.  My question that I wanted some other people's take on was what the risk of this actually happening would be, and whether there is anything I can do to mitigate this.  I am of course truthful, but would prefer any schools wishing to verify my employment to do so only after deciding that I would be admitted presuming that what I have said is truthful.  Would indicating this in any way, as a matter of courtesy only, cast negatively on an application?

If a law school were to contact my employer to verify anything in my application, I am virtually certain that it would result in my termination. I'm a tax accountant at a CPA firm and another accountant at the firm was fired for a substantially similar reason.  They don't want to invest in us if we're not committed to the career.

I realize that an employer contact may very well be unlikely, but I can't afford to wind up without a job particularly if I'm also left without an offer.

reez

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Employer Contact
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:54:41 AM »
It only happens if something on your resume is INCREDIBLY fishy--so fishy that the adcomm isn't content to simply ding you for it, but wants to have confirmation of the fishiness so it'll make an even better story for their friends.

In other words, it's not happening.  Don't worry about it.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »
The proper course of action is letting your employer know that you're applying to law school and that you may or may not go next year. You'll make a decision in the spring.
YLS c/o 2009

reez

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:16 AM »
The proper course of action is letting your employer know that you're applying to law school and that you may or may not go next year. You'll make a decision in the spring.

I see where you're coming from, but--unless it was the secretiveness that got the other guy canned, which doesn't sound like the case--OP shouldn't risk his damn job.

You don't tell your firm, "Hey, I've actually been talking to some headhunters, and I may or may not be leaving for a different job next year."  There's no moral duty with this sort of thing.