Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: teaching for Kaplan  (Read 1209 times)

mytwocents

• View Profile
teaching for Kaplan
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:18:49 PM »
So I just received an email from Kaplan congratulating me on my 90th percentile LSAT score and encouraging me to apply to teach for them.  The only problem...I definitely scored in the 88th percentile.  I know, I know...not a HUGE difference (I scored a 163, and I think 90th is like, 164), but is it okay to fudge this?  Or do you all think they just made a mistake? 

I know not everyone is a fan of LSAT prep classes (especially Kaplan's) but I took a class with them this summer and it helped me immensely.  Also, I've had trouble finding a job and would love to teach for them if it were possible.  Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) teaching for Kaplan? The email mentioned holding "auditions" for LSAT teachers, and I'm curious to know what this is about.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: teaching for Kaplan
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:13:21 PM »
what musical instrument you play?

mytwocents

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »
any serious responses?  no "audition" they have would ever involve musical instruments.

mabbas

• View Profile

mytwocents

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:15 AM »
Thanks for that.  To be honest, Kaplan doesn't sound too appealing, especially if they're not ACTUALLY hiring.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:38:35 AM »
any serious responses? no "audition" they have would ever involve musical instruments.

not kid self.

KaplanLSATInstructor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »
1.) If you took the Kaplan course, then perhaps you did score in the 90th percentile on one of your practice exams. So, they could have contacted you based on that -- not necessarily on your actual test.

2.) In terms of us not hiring, don't listen to rumors on these boards. We wouldn't waste the time or the money running auditions and interviews if we had no intention of hiring people. If you have concenrs, call the local center and as them. They'll be honest with you.

3.) As for the audition, the audition is meant primarily as an opportunity to meet applicants and make sure they don't seem unnaturally uncomfortable talking in front of a group. So, the audition is meant to be done on any non-test subject (e.g., how to solve a crossword puzzle or how to take great pictures). In Julie's defense, we have seen people audition with how to play a chord on a guitar. Of course, our center has now banned props from auditions, but that's another story entirely.

If you have any questions about working for Kaplan, feel free to PM me. I've been with them for over five years now and I truly enjoy the experience.

- Chris

mytwocents

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »
1.) If you took the Kaplan course, then perhaps you did score in the 90th percentile on one of your practice exams. So, they could have contacted you based on that -- not necessarily on your actual test.

2.) In terms of us not hiring, don't listen to rumors on these boards. We wouldn't waste the time or the money running auditions and interviews if we had no intention of hiring people. If you have concenrs, call the local center and as them. They'll be honest with you.

3.) As for the audition, the audition is meant primarily as an opportunity to meet applicants and make sure they don't seem unnaturally uncomfortable talking in front of a group. So, the audition is meant to be done on any non-test subject (e.g., how to solve a crossword puzzle or how to take great pictures). In Julie's defense, we have seen people audition with how to play a chord on a guitar. Of course, our center has now banned props from auditions, but that's another story entirely.

If you have any questions about working for Kaplan, feel free to PM me. I've been with them for over five years now and I truly enjoy the experience.

- Chris

Thank you!
what musical instrument you play?

I believe you now  :P

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
no one more surprised than julie.