Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: another disclosure question  (Read 986 times)

allstonite

• View Profile
another disclosure question
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »
so here is my situation, hope people here can help. And sorry in advance if this sounds paranoid, just nervous about the whole process.

After filling out my law apps I can honestly say that I have never been convicted of a crime (either felony or misdemeanor). I don't even have any speeding tickets. But there is one incident in my past where a security guard accused me of stealing (I forgot to scan something at the self checkout). Long story short I signed something saying I was stealing and paid a fine to the company to avoid further escalation (ie calling the cops). I never went to court or anything. I'm not worried about disclosure on my law apps, but rather the C&F portion of the bar...I don't know whether they will want this and if it will look bad that I didn't mention it on my law apps.

Does this even make sense? Someone tell me I'm crazy for worrying about it.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: another disclosure question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
so here is my situation, hope people here can help. And sorry in advance if this sounds paranoid, just nervous about the whole process.

After filling out my law apps I can honestly say that I have never been convicted of a crime (either felony or misdemeanor). I don't even have any speeding tickets. But there is one incident in my past where a security guard accused me of stealing (I forgot to scan something at the self checkout). Long story short I signed something saying I was stealing and paid a fine to the company to avoid further escalation (ie calling the cops). I never went to court or anything. I'm not worried about disclosure on my law apps, but rather the C&F portion of the bar...I don't know whether they will want this and if it will look bad that I didn't mention it on my law apps.

This is actually a tricky situation.  Any application that asks if you've been arrested or convicted, I think the answer has to be no.  But the old adage states to disclose everything, so it *might* not be a bad idea.  Though I doubt you need too.

However, a couple applications do ask you if there is any other incidents or events that speak to the quality of your character.  I believe your shoplifting incident should be disclosed whenever a question like this is asked.

allstonite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »
Thatnks for the reply.

The last part I totally agree with, it just turns out that none of my schools have a catch all like that, they all ask for arrests/convictions. I guess im more worried about what might happen if the bar wants it and is pissed thtat I didn't disclose on the law school apps.

Miche

• View Profile
    • Sharp & Useless
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »
No worries; the bar is never going to know that you didn't disclose it on the law school apps. The moral/character fitness application process is entirely different.

Lawyers: performing acts on desks that no decent person would ever do.
-Miche, co-creator of Sharp & Useless

lawstud80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:20:17 AM »

You should definitely not talk about this in your applications.  As long as you were not formally reprimanded by the law, you should not talk about it.

Even if a law school application asks you about your character, you are not obligated to talk about this incident whatsoever. 

DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR APPLICATION.  If you had been legally reprimanded, it would be different.

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »
No worries; the bar is never going to know that you didn't disclose it on the law school apps. The moral/character fitness application process is entirely different.
Disagree.  My school has made it very clear to us that the Illinois bar goes through our law school apps very carefully to see if anything wasn't disclosed that should have been.  We also have ongoing disclosure requirements.  I had to tell them about the dipshit fascist cop who hassled me one night when I was checking my email outside a library on their wifi.

Your state bar might vary, but I honestly doubt it.

Miche

• View Profile
    • Sharp & Useless
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »
Disagree.  My school has made it very clear to us that the Illinois bar goes through our law school apps very carefully to see if anything wasn't disclosed that should have been.  ...

Your state bar might vary, but I honestly doubt it.

California, Washington, New York, and DC do not review law school applications. Admittedly, DC is an odd duck altogether. But that means three other state bars don't do this.

It may be that IL is different. For the straight scoop, you can check with the Illinois bar directly, rather than rely on your school's representation. I had a friend who attended a Chicago school and did not have this issue -- which came up, actually, because he did in fact fail to disclose something quite huge on his school app (international incident, and it truly was accidental that he forgot to mention it the first time around).
Lawyers: performing acts on desks that no decent person would ever do.
-Miche, co-creator of Sharp & Useless

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
I wouldn't disclose the incident since it wasn't handled through legal channels, but I'm also not a lawyer (yet), so take that for what you will.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.