Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need help choosing between a judicial internship and a private firm job - HELP  (Read 4182 times)

jhandin

• View Profile
    • Email
Deciding Between/Waiting On: Hofstra, Southwestern, Arizona, FSU, UC Irvine
c/o 2012

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How are you getting job offers if NALP prohibits employers from contact before Dec. 1?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile

How are you getting job offers if NALP prohibits employers from contact before Dec. 1?

Only for employers who are members (usually biglaw firms only). Nobody is getting 1L SA jobs from NALP firms anyways.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

It's not an NALP firm.  I worked there last summer and they offered me a position for this summer at higher pay.  I just don't know which direction I should go in and which would be better for me in the long run.

Why don't you try to split your summer at both?

nbf

• View Profile
Are you independently wealthy?

Even if you are, take the firm job.

reez

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
The question is whether you want to work at that firm after graduation.  If not, the judicial internship could be better for your resume.  Were I in your shoes, I'd recognize that getting a job out of (wherever you're at school--Hofstra?) probably isn't easy, so I'd be doing everything in my power to seal things up with the small firm.

In the end, if your grades are poor, the connection to the firm would be more important than the state-level internship.  Even a District Court internship wouldn't make up for bad grades, whereas the strong connection might.

All things considered, I'd see if I could split.

DirkDiggler

• View Profile
As mentioned above, this turns entirely on where you want to be post-graduation.  Assuming you want to be in the area, though, the firm's reputation becomes a consideration.  If it's a reputable firm, work there.

As a 1L, you just need to get some summer experience.  Why not get paid for it?