Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need to choose - Judicial Internship or Private Practice?  (Read 2638 times)

jhandin

• View Profile
    • Email
Need to choose - Judicial Internship or Private Practice?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:45:37 AM »
Deciding Between/Waiting On: Hofstra, Southwestern, Arizona, FSU, UC Irvine
c/o 2012

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need to choose - Judicial Internship or Private Practice?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to receive offers from both Judges and private practices.  I need help to choose which to pursue.

By the way, I am a 1L.

Should it be all about the money and take the paid job?  Or should I choose the job clerking for the judge?  The judge in question is a state level appellate judge.  Does it matter how high of a court the internship is for?

If I am offered a position with a U.S. District Court, should I choose that over the paid private job?

Please help.  Thanks.

You should take the paid job because it might turn into a paid job after graduation. Unpaid clerkships with judges during school do not turn into paid clerkships with judges upon graduation. Especially with federal district judges. They let students clerk for them all the time but when it comes to clerking upon graduation - that's a whole different process. And taking the state appellate court position will do little for your career.