Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 146 LSAT Score , 3.2 GPA - What to do?  (Read 16478 times)

terrell21

• View Profile
146 LSAT Score , 3.2 GPA - What to do?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
Hey,

I need some advice.  I have a 146 LSAT score; I graduate this December with a 3.2 GPA.  Its unrealistic to retake the LSAT in December to score higher; in addition, there is no test prep class near me to retake for February LSAT.  I was looking at University of Richmond, Howard University, NCCU, Washington and Lee, and William and Mary.  But how do I write a LSAT addendum?  Would that even help strengthen my application given that my GPA is still borderline?

Thanks,

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 146 LSAT Score , 3.2 GPA - What to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »
Hey,

I need some advice.  I have a 146 LSAT score; I graduate this December with a 3.2 GPA.  Its unrealistic to retake the LSAT in December to score higher; in addition, there is no test prep class near me to retake for February LSAT.  I was looking at University of Richmond, Howard University, NCCU, Washington and Lee, and William and Mary.  But how do I write a LSAT addendum?  Would that even help strengthen my application given that my GPA is still borderline?

Thanks,

You'll have the opportunity to attach word files/addendums to your applications when you submit them.  However, think about what it would say.  Why did you get a 3.2?  Why did you get a 146?  What is it about you that should make them disregard that and accept you?

Now, how many other addenda will they have to look at that will look almost the same as yours?
From what I've heard, if your addendum just sounds like something everyone else with a 3.2 would say, it won't hold any water.

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
I'd worry more about the below-average LSAT score than about the mediocre GPA.

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
If you want to go to a reasonably ranked school, you will  have to re-take the LSAT and get a better score.  If you can get up into the low 160s, a decent T2 school is not out of your reach. You might also consider taking a few years off to get some work experience, if that's an option for you.  A 3.2 is a lot easier for an admissions office to overlook if it comes with an addendum explaining how your time in the real world has caused you to mature, along with some positive references from a professional employer (note the professional part- working as a bartender may not do much for your cause).

I came to the process with a similar GPA as yours, from a no-name undergrad.  I spent several years in the work force, and made sure to attach references from colleagues and supervisors.  I busted my ass preparing for the LSAT, and got a high enough score to get a partial scholarship at a mid-ranked T2.  When they awarded the scholarship, the school actually sent me a letter saying that my "mediocre academic record" was offset primarily by "significant professional accomplishments."  As much as it may delay your plans, you may do well to take a few years off and establish something impressive about yourself other than grades. 

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »
You need to do something to improve your numbers.  No explanation will help.  If you have a 4.0/146, there's at least a good indicator that something might be holding you back.  Or say a 170/2.7.  However, even with all the best reasons and explanations, schools do not can not reasonably infer that your numbers would be better without whatever hypothetical situation.  In other words, schools can say "well, he has a 170 so we might be able to assume his GPA would have been better had it not been for _______".  But you're not providing any sort of indication what your true abilities would be even if your addenda are poignant and clear.  So basically, you must get that LSAT up.

Tom203

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »
Law School application is a straight numbers game.  They say they take other things into account, but it is truly secondary.  It doesn't seem like a smart move for you to take on thousands of dollars worth of debt, to get a second-rate law degree.  Not in this job market.  You might consider doing some paralegal work for a couple of years and then applying to a reputable night-school program.

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
As a student who was somewhat in your boat, I suggest that you apply to part-time programs at your desired schools (if you can get into one, then after your first year you can likely transfer into the day section), or apply to other schools in the US that might accept you.  In regards to the latter suggestion, you will likely be accepted by Thomas Cooley in Michigan.

After being accepted to Cooley, or another school, then after your first year, you can transfer to one of schools that you initially desired to go to (William and Mary, etc.).  I wasn't a Cooley transfer, but I know a lot of people that were - and who ended up transferring out of there to go to schools such as Seton Hall and Hofstra (to name a few).

Or, of course you can re-take the LSAT - aim for at least a 150.

Anyway, good luck

3L

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
Hey,

Thanks,

Are you black? If so, and you can get into Howard, hands down go. Howard has a higher median salary then most t20s, and I think a better % of students going into federal clerkships as well (off the top of my head--check out the website). Additionally, just about every large law firm in the country goes there to do their diversity hires. Assuming you are black, I would say going to Howard for you would be better then going to just about any other school except a t14, and with your GPA you would need a pretty stellar LSAT to get into a t14.

donaldjeo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:16:35 AM »
Hey,

I need some advice.  I have a 146 LSAT score; I graduate this December with a 3.2 GPA.  Its unrealistic to retake the LSAT in December to score higher; in addition, there is no test prep class near me to retake for February LSAT.  I was looking at University of Richmond, Howard University, NCCU, Washington and Lee, and William and Mary.  But how do I write a LSAT addendum?  Would that even help strengthen my application given that my GPA is still borderline?

Thanks,

Hmmm.. did you try to get admission or not? If you did not get admission so don't worry you can try other university. if you failed in one university to get admission , I hope you will success to get admission in other university. So keep try... Best of Luck
-----------------------
Post by mcts ;)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
Go to cooley.