Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ivy League vs. Regular Law Schools  (Read 7558 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy League vs. Regular Law Schools
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »
I personally think that correcting the spelling error was the proper thing to do. Clearly the OP did not know how to spell Columbia and he spelled it wrong three times. Such a mistake would be a kiss of death if replicated on an application.
YLS c/o 2009

TimMitchell

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »
I assume you are interested in COLUMBIA University and not COLOMBIA as in Central, America.    :-\

Um, before you criticize someone's spelling, you might want to polish up on your geography.  Just saying.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:38 AM »
I personally think that correcting the spelling error was the proper thing to do. Clearly the OP did not know how to spell Columbia and he spelled it wrong three times. Such a mistake would be a kiss of death if replicated on an application.

I agree that spelling is important. Unfortunately the guy trying to be a smart-ass left himself wide open to attacks because of his ignorance of geography and his misuse of a comma. His snideness coupled with his mistakes makes him look like a jerk unqualified to criticize people. Maybe he will check his own writing before trying to get a laugh pointing out the errors in others'.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
I'm loving this thread.

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 11:50:39 AM »

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »
I assume you are interested in COLUMBIA University and not COLOMBIA as in Central, America.    :-\

Um, before you criticize someone's spelling, you might want to polish up on your geography.  Just saying.

Don't just say...make sure the OP is not on their way to South America!

BITE ME!!! :-*

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »

I agree that spelling is important. Unfortunately the guy trying to be a smart-ass left himself wide open to attacks because of his ignorance of geography and his misuse of a comma. His snideness coupled with his mistakes makes him look like a jerk unqualified to criticize people. Maybe he will check his own writing before trying to get a laugh pointing out the errors in others'.

You have at least 1 missing comma as well. The point was not to be snide, it was to point out a CRITICAL error...anyone can make a spelling or a grammatical error, but because the OP made the same mistake more than once, it appeared as if they didn't know the difference.

Please get over yourself!  ::)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »
You have at least 1 missing comma as well. The point was not to be snide, it was to point out a CRITICAL error...anyone can make a spelling or a grammatical error, but because the OP made the same mistake more than once, it appeared as if they didn't know the difference.

OMG! You have an improper ellipsis use. Please consult the Texas Style Manual for proper usage instructions.  ;)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »

Shall I point out that you once again misused a comma by splicing together two independent clauses? Shall I point out that you misused the ellipsis? I ommitted a comma between two independent clauses joined by a conjunction ( which is common in informal communication) while you committed two kinds of comma errors that a fourth-grade English teacher would commonly see. "Central America" is a noun chain (proper noun) and thus cannot have a comma, and my ten year old cousin doesn't even use comma splices in her writing. Don't get into a grammar dispute with me, boy. (See how the comma sets off "boy," the derogatory term I'm applying to you?) Also, don't try to act like you were helping someone when no part of your post offered constructive criticism. You were trying to be funny, and, in the process, you revealed that you think Colombia is in Central, America (see that comma? That's a joke aimed at your ineptitude.) What else don't you know?   "Because the OP made the same mistake more than once, it appeared as if they didn't know the difference," you said. I won't point out that "OP" is singular and "they" is plural. I will just say that since you are making gross grammar and comma errors repeatedly, it appears as if you don't know the difference between writing that is appropriate for a little kid's diary and writing that other people will actually read.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »

Shall I point out that you once again misused a comma by splicing together two independent clauses? Shall I point out that you misused the ellipsis? I ommitted a comma between two independent clauses joined by a conjunction ( which is common in informal communication) while you committed two kinds of comma errors that a fourth-grade English teacher would commonly see. "Central America" is a noun chain (proper noun) and thus cannot have a comma, and my ten year old cousin doesn't even use comma splices in her writing. Don't get into a grammar dispute with me, boy. (See how the comma sets off "boy," the derogatory term I'm applying to you?) Also, don't try to act like you were helping someone when no part of your post offered constructive criticism. You were trying to be funny, and, in the process, you revealed that you think Colombia is in Central, America (see that comma? That's a joke aimed at your ineptitude.) What else don't you know?   "Because the OP made the same mistake more than once, it appeared as if they didn't know the difference," you said. I won't point out that "OP" is singular and "they" is plural. I will just say that since you are making gross grammar and comma errors repeatedly, it appears as if you don't know the difference between writing that is appropriate for a little kid's diary and writing that other people will actually read.

Do you really think I'm going to read this???? Dude, it's not that serious....you are trying to GET INTO LS like the rest of us, please kill the posturing.... concentrate on your lackluster LSAT and not what some anonymous person says on a message board.... ::) ::) ::)