Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How was Widener TAP 2009?  (Read 14896 times)

Gruitza

Re: How was Widener TAP 2009?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »
I am finishing my second semester at Widener Harrisburg. I did not personally participate in TAP but a few of my friends did. Let me start by saying Widener is an excellent school. This board tends to be harsh on the Tier4's but our last PA bar passage rate was 94.3% That was higher than every Law school in PA excluding U.Penn and Temple.

The TAP program is EXTREMELY competitive. There will be roughly 100 or so of you and the top 20% might get in. There is no set percentage. I believe around 17 people were accepted from 2009's TAP program. There will most likely be Torts and possibly one additional class. The proffesor who taught the 2009 class here in Harrisburg is a graduate of Harvard Law and quite possibly one of the most brilliant people I have ever had the pleasure of recieving a lecture from (He is my current torts prof).

The key is to stay focused and dont get caught up in social aspect of it. There will be time for that when and if your accepted in the fall. Study until you cant see straight!

The plus side is that the TAP students who make it in are better prepped for the first semester because you will have already had two months of reading, briefing, and exam writing. Trust me you will have an edge on alot of the students. Both of my friends who gained acceptance via TAP are currently ranking in the top 15%.

I personally dont feel that the TAP program is a money maker for Widener. TAP is a way to give a few people who otherwise wouldnt qualify based on GPA or LSAT a chance at admission without Widener having to risk admitting them and failing them out (thus a high attrition rate) or hurting our bar passage rate.

Best of luck, I hope this was helpful

readyforanything

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 11:38:32 PM »
I too was accepted into the TAP program 2010. Please add me to the list of you clique.

battleem2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »
I was also accepted into TAP 2010 and I must admit that the reality of only 17 people being offered admissions is a bit disheartening. 

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
I am from philly and have had the pleasure of attending both Villanova and Temple...
  Anyway... If you really want to practice in philly area and Widener is your only chance...i recommend trying it BUT accept and pay a security deposit at another school. So that way if you do not get into widener tap you can through another school.
  Good luck... that % is really low... kinda sux you have to be put through that... I did a special summer program at Indiana Law but it ws non-conditional.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

squash11

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:32:07 AM »
I too was accepted into the TAP program 2010. Please add me to the list of you clique.

I will also be attending the TAP 2010 program in DE. Please add me to the list too!

Gruitza

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
I am pretty sure that there is no predetermined percentage of students that the program will admit. It just happened to be roughly 17-20 students that were admitted last year. If you do well its likley that you WILL gain acceptance. Dont be discouraged. Stay focused, work hard and you'll make it through!

Good Luck!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »
I strongly urge people not to go this route.  This is more time and work to go to a school that just isn't worth it, especially if you are not from the area.  These programs are designed for profit.  Further, people seem to think 17-20 is a some kind of fluke number.  Is sounds about right to me. If I had to guess, I would expect less admits this year b/c for some reason more people are applying to law school. 

I am not trying to bash Widener. Out of the T4 schools, it has the ironic virtue of being the only school in DE and has corp law advantages b/c of this.  They actually do send some people to the big law firms in DE.  However, only the top 5%-10% really get an advantage from this.  The rest do not and this is not the economy to take on large debt for little return, not that there is ever really a market for that . . .

But whatever you choose, best of luck to you.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
how "disheartening"? If it's a low number allowed in, you must have impressed them somehow to not be picked over by someone else instead.

I was also accepted into TAP 2010 and I must admit that the reality of only 17 people being offered admissions is a bit disheartening. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
how "disheartening"? If it's a low number allowed in, you must have impressed them somehow to not be picked over by someone else instead.

I think you misunderstood.  S/He was accepted into the Tap Program, lots of people will be.  I think s/he is disheartened by the fact they only let in 17-20 people after they complete Tap.

I'll say it again, it's a shame for Widener to make some money.   

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 09:41:04 PM »
what actual attrition rate does that come to then?

I think you misunderstood.  S/He was accepted into the Tap Program, lots of people will be.  I think s/he is disheartened by the fact they only let in 17-20 people after they complete Tap.

I'll say it again, it's a shame for Widener to make some money.