Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How was Widener TAP 2009?  (Read 14683 times)

tchowdhu

• View Profile
How was Widener TAP 2009?
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Can somebody provide me any information regarding Widener summer tap program 2009? How was it? Who was the Professor? How many students got in?

dapilamkid

• View Profile
Re: How was Widener TAP 2009?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:54:46 PM »
Can someone please elaborate on the Widener TAP Program in 2009? It would be greatly appreciated.

chorgan70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:19:51 PM »
I took Widener ITAP in 2009. It was a lot of hard work. You need to be very prepared each day. You are given all of the details for a criminal case and the same for a civil case. The "teachers" are lawyers and judges from around the Nation. You are given a task to complete over night. The task is something like prepare a cross-examination for one of the people in the details. Every person will be put on the spot, in front of your group of 10-14 people in the class. Every aspect of a trial is covered: opening statements, direct examination, cross examination, closing statements and everything else like introducing evidence, experts, etc. The final is a trial, performed in front of one of the lawyers and a jury of at least a couple of people from a local nursing home.

While going through it, I thought it was hard. After, I realized it was one of the best and most informative classes I took in law school. I use everything I learned, in my internship with a prosecutor's office. the experience was invaluable and I totally recommend it.

Good luck

chorgan70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:52 AM »
I made a mistake. There is the TAP program, and there is the ITAP program. The two are very different.
In error, I responded as if you were asking about the ITAP program, when you clearly said TAP.

tchowdhu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »
It's ok. Can you provide any information on the TAP program that will help me to study effectively? I am bracing myself to attend the program this summer.

professional23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
I was also invited to participate in TAP 2010 at the Deleware campus.

Recently, I phoned Widener to ask about the success rate of the participants and to inquire about last year's statistics.

Although, the information in the memorandum states that 1/3 to 1/4 of the students who participate go on to fall admittance, the institution informed me that of the only 17 of the 100 students who participated last year were admitted. So I don't understand the 1/3 to 1/4 statement.

Anyway, I believe I would like to attend, but don't want to feel like this is a waste of time and money. I'm certain that I can successfully complete this program, but 17 out of 100.....

dapilamkid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
Professional23,

I would go for it if that's the only school that accepted(conditional) or that's the school you really want to go to.  Don't let an opportunity past you because of previous statistic.  I am attending Widener TAP 2010 at Delaware campus as well.  I already paid my tuition and looking forward for the challenge. 

Where are you from? Have you talked to people that went through the program already?

professional23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
Hi dapilamkid,

Thank you for the encouragement!  I currently reside in Philadelphia, and the drive to Widener is not far at all (25 miles).

Yes, I have a friend who attended the program a few years ago and he had good things to say about the program.  Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful because of a "D" he received in civil procedure.  He explained that there were about 200 students in his class and cliques started to form instantly.  But I don't think that forming groups or cliques is a bad thing.  In fact, it can be quite helpful to be apart of a study group, and have others to discuss the class lessons with.

As for Widener, I am planning to attend the program if I am not fully accepted into some of my top choices.  As of now, I have been "conditionally accepted" at Widener and New York Law School.  Also, I have been "waitlisted" at Drexel Law School.

For now, I am waiting patiently for a few more decisions before I pay the tuition fee.

I think you are right about not worrying too much about the previous statistics.  Although we will be challenged tremendously, I know I can successfully complete this TAP program.

Thanks for your response.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 06:49:43 PM »
Don't let an opportunity past you because of previous statistic. 

Really?  This is not an opportunity. This is just another way for Widener to suck money from students.

dapilamkid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
Professional23,

You wouldnt know by any chance the subjects in Civ Pro or Torts that were discussed in the program do you?

Good luck and keep me posted on your decision.  Maybe we can start our own clique lol