Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I Dillusional- Do I have a shot?  (Read 1103 times)

JonnySeed

• View Profile
Am I Dillusional- Do I have a shot?
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »
Hey guys, 

Just joined today after reading a lot of your discussions.  I have gotten a lot of insight on law school from this site.  I graduated in May from an SEC Conference school double majoring in finance and Mgmt science, with a GPA of 3.80, LSAC GPA of 3.77. 

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but project somewhere between 165-170, maybe higher if I really study hard. 

I have decided that I would go to law school if I could get into a top 20 law school.  Do you guys think it is possible?

Also, is taking a year off a bad thing.  I don't have a great job, but it seems as if it's too late to apply for 2010 start, even if the schools are still taking applications.

If these questions have been asked before, I apologize.  Thanks for your time and help!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Am I Dillusional- Do I have a shot?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
Taking a year off is generally a good thing.

Your chances on getting into a top school will depend almost entirely on LSAT score. Study hard.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:43:22 AM »
Wondering, how did you "project" that LSAT score?

Joey Porsche

• Ya feels me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »
Wondering, how did you "project" that LSAT score?

"Well, I did good on the ACT..."

...and lol at top 20.  T14 is all that matters, my friend.  Only schools 15-20 talk about the top 20 as if it's special.

JonnySeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:22:50 AM »
I projected that score based on practice LSAT's I have taken.  If I took the test right now, I would probably get a 165.  I believe I could possibly even improve this because I plan on taking the test in February, and it will give me a lot more time to study. 

Thanks for the info about the top 20.  So I guess what you're saying is there is T14 and then everything else?  Is a 15-20 school that much different from a, let's say, 40-50 school?

Thanks again for the responses, I appreciate it.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
JonnySeed--I will give you one particular example in which a t 20 school is much better than a school in the 20-50 range. The University of Texas-Austin is ranked (I'm estimating within a close range error) 16th or 17th in the nation by USNWR. Look at the other schools in the state of Texas. The next ranked school is Southern Methodist University at something in the high 40's or low 50's. After that are Houston and Baylor. These are the four ranked schools of Texas. UT is without a doubt the most prestigious one in the state, and, while argument exists about the national reputation of this school, job prospects generally run across a wider range of opportunities for its graduates. From there, reputations become more regional although statistically speaking all of these schools do place in a decent number of other states.
Of course this argument only follows if you equate "better" with most prestigious" and "wider range of job opportunities."

JonnySeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
JonnySeed--I will give you one particular example in which a t 20 school is much better than a school in the 20-50 range. The University of Texas-Austin is ranked (I'm estimating within a close range error) 16th or 17th in the nation by USNWR. Look at the other schools in the state of Texas. The next ranked school is Southern Methodist University at something in the high 40's or low 50's. After that are Houston and Baylor. These are the four ranked schools of Texas. UT is without a doubt the most prestigious one in the state, and, while argument exists about the national reputation of this school, job prospects generally run across a wider range of opportunities for its graduates. From there, reputations become more regional although statistically speaking all of these schools do place in a decent number of other states.
Of course this argument only follows if you equate "better" with most prestigious" and "wider range of job opportunities."

That is one concern I actually had- which was if I got into a law school in a state I wouldn't particularly want to work in, would it be hard to find a good job in another state. 

This is just hypothetical, but let's say I got into Duke Law, which is a T14, and performed very well there. Would it be difficult for me to to find a job at a prestigious law firm in a northeast city like Boston or New York?  Or would someone be better off going to a lower-ranked law school in that particular city, like Yeshiva in New York?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »
This is just hypothetical, but let's say I got into Duke Law, which is a T14, and performed very well there. Would it be difficult for me to to find a job at a prestigious law firm in a northeast city like Boston or New York?  Or would someone be better off going to a lower-ranked law school in that particular city, like Yeshiva in New York?

Everyone is having a hard time finding jobs in NY and Boston right now.  I doubt sure being at Yeshiva would help at all, but being at NYU or Penn would probably do more for you in the northeast than being at Duke, although they're all top 14 and both have national reach.