Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Patent Bar Review Course  (Read 7132 times)

BME_Law

• View Profile
Patent Bar Review Course
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:26:26 AM »
I was looking to take the patent bar.  I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to the best patent bar review course to take.  I took Bar/Bri for the state bar and felt extremely prepared.  However, I have heard that PLI is the best for patent.  It's kind of a toss up for me, although Bar/Bri would be about $1100 less ("alumni" discount).

I would appreciate any help or insight.  Thank you in advance.

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Patent Bar Review Course
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
Skip Omniprep and Patbar. 

togbra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
pli is supposed to be the best.  look at ebay for used materials, that should save you some money.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
I did PRG, which is actually the "best", and passed easily on my first try, but it also contains more material than you will need to know just for test.  I think PLI is just fine though if you are only using the materials for bar prep.  Also, doing old questions is half of the studying, bar review courses aside.  I explain the whole study process in more detail in some of my past posts.

Stay far away from the other courses, the quality drops drastically after PRG and PLI.  You can buy used copies of either of these courses and most likely resell them for most of what it cost you.

-3L Patent Agent

PatentlyAbsurd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »
I did the PLI home course and passed the exam on the first try.  It was a comprehensive package that gave me the tools to anticpate the questions I would see on test day and to reason through them.  I still have the course material and would be willing to talk to you about helping you out.  PM me if you have a question about it.

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
I took (and passed) the patent bar this summer. I used the Bullseye prep course (http://www.patentbarexamprep.com/). Definitely not as much hand-holding as in PRG et al. but for $30 it's hard to not be pleased with the outcome. Plus it saves you about $2000 for throwing one mean celebration party after you pass :)
IANAL...Y

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
Or you could just buy some PRG or PLI books used for a good price, and then resell them for about the same price.

Just bought my used 2009 Barbri books for $170, and a used 2009 Kaplan Multistate set for $100  ;D, should easily be able to get that much back when I resell them.

I also need to sell a $250 gift certificate I won for a Kaplan Bar course at some point....