Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hard Strengthen Principle ?  (Read 769 times)

smiley111

• View Profile
    • Email
Hard Strengthen Principle ?
« on: October 30, 2009, 02:44:42 PM »
Yup guys its me again....with more strengthening ?s....thanks for looking at this and answering this to those of you who do I really do appreciate it and feel bad for these constant posts but that is what LSD is here for  :D

Sociologist: Suggestions for improved efficiency that derive from employers are unlikely to elicit positive responses from employees, who tend to resent suggestions they did not generate. An employer should therefore engage an employee in a non threatening dialogue that emphasizes the positive contributions of the employee to the development of such ideas. Then the ideas the employers want to try will be implemented more quickly and effectively.

Which one of the following principles if valid most helps to justify the sociologists reasoning

B - employees are more likely to carry out ideas for improved efficiency that they believe they have participated in generating.

E - employees are more likely to resent employers who attempt to implement employers rather than the employees ideas for improved efficiency

Yup guys I was stuck between these 2. Initially I chose B the correct answer and then I changed my mind and selected E. But arenít these 2 really close though why is E wrong and what makes B correct?

KaplanLSATInstructor

• View Profile
Re: Hard Strengthen Principle ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:08:28 PM »
(E) says that employees would resent the employees who came up with the suggestion. However, the argument says that the employees would resent the actual suggestion, not necessarily the person who came up with that suggestion.

For example, let's say you came up with a suggestion for improved efficiency. According to the stimulus, I would resent that suggestion because I didn't come up with it myself. However, answer (E) says that I would resent YOU for coming up with that idea. That's not what the author is saying.

HTH

- Chris

River

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Suggestions for improved efficiency that derive from employers are unlikely to elicit positive responses from employees, who tend to(because they) resent suggestions they did not generate.
=Not generate-----Not positive response(Employees)---P

An employer should therefore engage an employee in a non threatening dialogue that emphasizes the positive contributions of the employee to the development of such ideas.
=Non threatenig dialg----positive contributions(Employer)--Con 1

Then the ideas the employers want to try will be implemented more quickly and effectively.
=non threatening dialog----quick and effective implementation--Con 2

P=Not generate---not positive response
C1+C2=positive contribution---quick and effective implementation--C
=P+C=Generate----quick and effective implementation

Which one of the following principles if valid most helps to justify the sociologists reasoning

B - employees are more likely to carry out ideas for improved efficiency that they believe they have participated in generating.

E - employees are more likely to resent employers who attempt to implement employers rather than the employees ideas for improved efficiency
: the arg point is not "resenting" but improveing "efficiency of work "from employee.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »
"hard"?

maybe you just distracted.

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:42:45 AM »
There's an additional distinction that should help you see what separates B and E.  The sociologist's first statement gives a reason to avoid generating efficiency ideas from higher up the corporate ladder.  The subconclusion and conclusion state:
employer emphasizes employees' positive contributions to ideas -> ideas implemented more quickly and effectively
It's a basic if/then statement, broken into two sentences.  E supports the initial premise by providing additional evidence why the rejected approach should not be used.  However, we don't need additional support for the premise.  We need to strengthen/support the conclusion.  B, on the other hand, provides a reason to believe that the if/then conclusion is valid.  Conditionally, B looks like this:
employees believe they participated in generating ideas -> employees more likely to carry out those ideas
We now have an additional reason why the approach advocated by the sociologist would be effective in implementing changes.  In short, E supports a premise, while B supports the conclusion.